Learn by Doing
A key part of the core curriculum is a focus on experiential learning, or learning by doing. At EMU you’ll have the opportunity to participate in hands-on research with expert faculty who are Fulbright scholars, leaders in peace studies and sustainability practices, and energetic educators.
At EMU you’ll have many chances to apply your learning. Be part of our thriving STEM program and collaborate with veteran scientists… or perform with world-famous musicians during our annual Bach Festival. Create documentaries and other videos within our visual and communication arts department … or develop new sustainable practices for our green campus.
Here are several other opportunities recent students pursued:
- Work side-by-side with professors on cutting-edge cancer research
- Travel to Asia to work on water quality issues
- Conduct environmental research in the Chesapeake Bay or nearby Blacks Run in Harrisonburg
- Maintain and expand our organic campus garden
- Create a ‘green design’ for new campus buildings