Liberal Arts Studies at EMU
A major in liberal arts at EMU can enrich any occupation or path in life. Study here in the context of a community committed to service to others, peacebuilding and sustainability.
Employers and graduate schools appreciate applicants with a liberal arts education foundation. These students are well-rounded, with a wide exposure to issues and ideas from across disciplines and society.
Students who choose liberal arts generally:
- concentrate on a field of study — like history or English, for example — rather than an occupational area.
- have probably chosen to delay a career decision, opting to experience education before focusing on a vocation and committing their energies to it.
- are able to define themselves through unique personal attributes rather than depending on a college major for identity.
- are more concerned with ideas, concepts and thought processes than with products, services and day-to-day operations.
The liberal arts emphasis on reading, writing, thinking and human relations opens many doors to liberal arts graduates. In fact, the range of employment opportunities is limited only by your imagination, ambition and experiences.
This major works for you if you:
- know where you want to go but want to get there in your own way
- have summer jobs or internships that establish experience on your resume
Liberal arts is also a popular choice for those who will enter the elementary education sequence because of the opportunity to learn about a wide range of subjects.