Owen D. Byer
Department of Mathematical Sciences
Eastern Mennonite University
Harrisonburg, VA 22802
Personal web page
- Ph.D. in Mathematics, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, May 1996. Dissertation: "Several Results on Extremal (v,e)-Graphs", under the direction of
Dr. Felix Lazebnik.
- M.S. in Mathematics, University of Delaware, May 1991.
- B.A. in Mathematics, with secondary certification, Messiah College, Grantham, PA, May 1989.
- Associate Professor: Eastern Mennonite University, Harrisonburg, VA, Fall 2001-present.
- Assistant Professor: Eastern Mennonite University, Harrisonburg, VA, Fall 1999-Spring 2001. Courses taught: Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus, Intermediate Calculus, Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Mathematical Probability, Number Theory, Probability and Statistics, Statistics for Natural Sciences
- Assistant Professor: Northwestern College , Orange City, IA, Fall 1996-Spring 1999. Courses taught: Calculus for Management, Life, and Social Sciences; Calculus I, II, and III; Basic Algebra; Elementary Statistics; Probability and Statistics; Discrete Mathematics; Topics in Contemporary Mathematics; Math for Elementary Teachers and the inter-disciplinary course War and Peace.
- Adjunct Faculty: Philadelphia College of Bible, Langhorne, PA, Spring 1996. Taught Abstract Algebra.
- Instructor: Eastern Mennonite University, Harrisonburg, VA, 1991-1992. Courses taught: Basic Algebra; College Algebra; Intro to Computers; Discrete Mathematics; Elements of Calculus; and Abstract Algebra.
- Instructor: University of Delaware, 1990, 1993-1996. Courses taught: Algebra and Elementary Statistics (twice); Calculus I; and Calculus II (three times). I also coordinated summer program for teaching Calculus to minority engineering students.
- Teaching Assistant: University of Delaware, 1989-1991, 1992-1995. Taught recitation and lab sections for Mathematics for Elementary Education (twice) and Calculus II (six times).
- Student Teacher: Camp Hill High School, Camp Hill, PA, Fall 1988.
- Baxter-Sloyer Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Delaware, 1995.
- Summa Cum Laude, Messiah College, 1989.
- Merit Scholar, Messiah College, 1986.
- Received student nominations for excellence in teaching at Eastern Mennonite University (1992) and Northwestern College (1997).
- "Maximum Number of 4-cliques in a 4-partite Graph", Bulletin of ICA, Volume 21 (1997), pp. 27-32.
- "Some New Bounds on the Maximum Number of Vertex Colorings of a (v,e)-Graph", Journal of Graph Theory, Volume 28 (1998), pp. 115-128.
- "Two Path Extremal Graphs and an Application to a Ramsey-type Problem", Discrete Mathematics, 196 (1999), pp. 51-64 .
- "Maximum Number of 3-paths in a Graph", ARS Combinatoria, Volume 61 (2001), pp. 73-79.
- "Observations on the Indeterminacy of the Sample Correlation Coefficient", College Mathematics Journal,
Volume 33 (September 2002), pp. 320-322.