Grants and Scholarship Information
The RN to Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing program will match grants that you receive from both religious and civic organizations up to $1,000.
Lancaster Osteopathic Health Foundation – 2014 Nursing Education Scholarship
• Scholarships are available for students accepted and entering or already enrolled in nursing education programs in the academic year 2014/2015.
• Scholarships are for tuition only. Tuition excludes books, supplies, room and board fees and living expenses.
• Scholarships are available for LPN and RN nursing education programs at Lancaster County Career & Technology Center, PA College of Health Sciences, HACC-Lancaster Campus, Millersville University, and Eastern Mennonite University (Lancaster Site).
• Scholarships are also available for any accredited BSN program, RN to BSN program, master, post master, and doctoral nursing programs, and certification classes, including but not limited to school nurse, lactation consultant, and others requiring additional education.
• Those students enrolled in Pre-Nursing or General Education classes or programs are NOT eligible.
• While the Foundation recognizes the benefit of distance learning programs, only students enrolled in RN to BSN, master, post master and doctoral nursing programs are eligible for scholarships for remote learning programs. LPN and RN students must be enrolled in one of the Lancaster County nursing education programs listed above.
• Scholarships last for the full education period of the program if student remains in good academic standing in the nursing program.
• Individuals who have previously received a scholarship are encouraged to re-apply for an additional scholarship.
• Scholarships are paid directly to academic institution on behalf of the recipients.
• Applicants must be permanent residents of Lancaster County at time of application.
• Applicants must be already admitted to nursing education program at time of award/application; copy of admission letter is required.
• Applicants must show evidence of financial need through release of FAFSA form or IRS submission.
• Applicants must show documentation of any Pell Grants, scholarships, employer tuition reimbursement or other tuition awards.
• Applicants must submit two 200 word paragraphs/essays (from a choice of five).
• Applicants must submit a letter of reference from a teacher, employer or other person who can speak to the applicant’s ability to succeed in a nursing education program. Please note: NO friends or family members as references; please have the person writing the letter send it directly to Lancaster Osteopathic Health Foundation, not to you.
• Applicants must be available to participate in a face to face interview with the scholarship selection committee in July 2014 (for finalists).
• Applicants must agree to work in nursing in Lancaster County for one year for each year of scholarship support. Those applicants who do not fulfill this obligation will be required to pay back their scholarship awards to the Lancaster Osteopathic Health Foundation under the specific repayment terms defined by the Foundation.
• A Selection Committee consisting of nurses and Foundation staff will review all completed applications received by the due date and identify a number of finalists for interviews at the Foundation office in July 2014.
• Subject to the availability of funds and the final decision of the Board of the Lancaster Osteopathic Health Foundation, award recipients will be notified by mail in July 2014 and invited to an awards reception.
• Initial scholarship payments will be made to the schools in late summer 2014.
• In early 2014, the scholarship application will be available at the five Lancaster County nursing education programs and at a number of other locations in the community; interested persons may also call the Foundation office for a copy.
• Complete application package must be received at the Lancaster Osteopathic Health Foundation office no later than May 30, 2014
Scholarship Work Obligation Policy
By accepting a nurse scholarship from the Foundation, the scholarship recipient agrees to work full time in nursing in Lancaster County one year for each year of scholarship support awarded; if this condition is not met, the scholarship recipients are required to pay back their scholarship awards to the Foundation with specific repayment terms defined by the Foundation. Written application may be made for an exception from this policy. Such exceptions require approval of the Foundation’s Nurse Scholarship Committee.
Scholarship recipients who leave school after receiving a nurse scholarship from the Foundation will be required to pay back their scholarship awards to the Foundation with specific repayment terms defined by the Foundation. Written application may be made for an exception from this policy. Such exceptions require approval of the Foundation’s Board of Directors.
Leave of Absence Policy
Scholarship recipients who wish to seek a leave of absence from their nursing schools must first gain the approval of their nursing school. The Foundation will then provide the student with a Leave of Absence form which must be completed and submitted to the Foundation. Leaves of absence require approval by the Foundation’s Nurse Scholarship Committee. If the recipient is granted a leave of absence, the Foundation will allow the unspent balance of funds to remain in the student’s account for up to two years from the date of the leave approval. The recipient must return to the nursing education program within two years.
• Early application is strongly encouraged.
• Questions should be directed to your school guidance, local nursing school admission office, or to the foundation by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at (717) 397-8722.
• If you wish, you may download the application and other documents
Lancaster Osteopathic Health Foundation
128 East Grant Street, Suite 104
Lancaster, PA 17602
The 2014 Lancaster County Nurse Scholarship Program is sponsored by the Lancaster Osteopathic Health Foundation with generous support from the Alumni Association of the St. Joseph Hospital School of Nursing and the Lancaster County School Nurse Association.