Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Interlibrary loan (ILL) services may be used when research materials (books, journal articles, etc.) are not owned by EMU Hartzler Library. EMU provides ILL services for EMU faculty, staff and students.
Making a Request
- Check whether EMU Hartzler Library owns the item you need.
- If EMU does not own the item, you may request it through EMU’s ILLiad
- Login to EMU’s ILLiad with your Royal username and password.
- ILLiad provides you forms for books & audiovisuals, book chapters, and journal articles.
- When using the databases look for the “Check here to locate article” link. If no full text is available choose “Request this item through Interlibrary Loan”. You will need to login to EMU’s ILLiad.
- Interlibrary loans are usually requested from another library within 24 hours. Allow one to two weeks for a loan to be received. Articles usually arrive sooner.
- You will receive an email when your items have arrived and are available for pickup.
- Books and other returnables may be picked up at the circulation desk at the library.
- The library receives most journal articles electronically. You will be notified via email when your article has arrived. Documents will be available through your ILLiad account. The system will automatically remove the document 30 days after you received e-mail notification.
- There are no charges for an interlibrary loan unless we contact you to discuss the lending library’s cost.
- You are expected to comply with any special instructions (i.e. in-library use only) and the due date listed on the book strap. Interlibrary loan items not returned on-time will generate a fine of $5.00 per day per item.
- Most libraries do not renew interlibrary loans.
Interlibrary loan policies
- Do not request materials owned by EMU. You may place items on hold and they will be recalled as per library policy.
- Do not request course textbooks.
- EMU patrons are expected to adhere to all due dates and policies of the lending library. Any restrictions such as “In-library use only” will be marked on the bookstrap.
- EMU patrons will return an item promptly if the item is recalled by the lending library.
- Check out these pictures on logging into ILLiad and requesting ILLs through WorldCat and other databases
For questions about interlibrary loan contact Dawn Nyce at x4174 or by email at