Major in Mathematics
Mathematics is the language of problem solving. It is at the heart of all science and technology (applied mathematics) but it is also a beautiful logic all of its own (pure mathematics).
- Do I find solving a math problem challenging and rewarding?
- Am I able to succeed in math courses without too much of a struggle?
Then a major or minor in mathematics may be right for you.
Mathematics is the common theme among most of the top-paying careers.
The following 48 SH program of courses is required:
- MATH 170 Discrete Mathematics (4)
- MATH 185 Calculus I (4)
- MATH 195 Calculus II (4)
- MATH 240 Statistics for the Natural Sciences (3)
- MATH 285 Calculus III (4)
- MATH 350 Linear Algebra (3)
- MATH 450 Introduction to Analysis OR
MATH 460 Abstract Algebra (3)
- PHYS 251 University Physics I (4)
- CS courses (6)
Choose four of the following additional courses:
- MATH 333 Topics in Math (3)
- MATH 310 Differential Equations (3)
- MATH 360 Geometry (3)
- MATH 420 History of Math (3)
- MATH 450 Introduction to Analysis (3)
- MATH 460 Abstract Algebra (3)
- MATH 470 Mathematical Probability (3)