“EMU’s nursing program gave me exactly what I needed. EMU’s emphasis on community health, respect for all people, and service to others prepared me for a job that is a perfect fit.”
Judith Trumbo, Class of 82
President and CEO of Virginia Mennonite Retirement Community
Traditional Nursing Major
Any student admitted to EMU may declare a nursing major, which requires a strong, well-rounded background in the biology, chemistry, mathematics, and the social sciences.
Nursing Program Admission Requirements
Students are eligible to apply to the clinical level of the nursing program when they have met the following admission requirements:
- cumulative GPA of 2.8 at time of application
- prerequisite GPA of 2.8 at time of application
Students applying to the clinical level of the program must have 60 semester hours of college credit completed by the time they enroll in level one.
- CHEM 102 – Matter & Energy (exceptions based on EMU placement exam, honors chemistry, or two years of high school chemistry)
- BIOL 112, 122 – Human Anatomy and Physiology I, II
- BIOCH 152 – Human Biochemistry
- BIOL 202 – Microbiology
- PSYC 202 – Developmental Psychology
- SOC 101 – Introduction to Sociology (or other approved sociology course)
- BIOL 242 – Nutrition Fundamentals
All prerequisite courses must be passed with a C or higher. Students cannot repeat more than two of the courses in which a C or above is required. A single course may not be repeated more than once.
Prerequisite courses may still be in progress at the time of application, but must be completed prior to beginning the clinical level of the program.
If English is not your first language, we require a TOEFL score of 550 (does not include speaking section) on the written Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) OR 79 on the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) which includes a speaking section.
Application deadlines for clinical level of program
Application deadline for fall semester is February 15 for submission of all application materials with final decision of admissions by March 30.
Application deadline for spring semester is June 15 for submission of all application materials with final decision of admissions by July 30.