May 2013 Planning Update
- Alumni, donors, and foundations have already contributed over $5 million in current gifts and commitments for renovation/construction, plus $1.3 million in estate commitments for the Suter Science Center endowment fund.
- To achieve a minimum of $7 million in current gifts and commitments for renovation/construction, our revised goal calls for the raising of at least $1.5 million of additional cash commitments by December 31, 2014.
- Several donors and foundations have provided over $350,000 of challenge funds. All new gifts to the campaign up to this amount will be matched, and thereby doubled in value.
Estimated design/construction timeline
- December 2012: Program and project definition determined by design concept committee.
- April 2013: Architect completes updated drawings.
- May 2013: General contractor completes cost estimates.
- Ongoing: Intensive efforts to raise final $2 million of the campaign.
- January 2014 – December 2014: Construction documents finalized. If fundraising goal is met early, renovation will begin May 2014. If fundraising goal of $7 million is met by December 31, 2014, renovation will begin in 2015 and be completed by 2016.
Renovation design and planning process
EMU established a design concept committee responsible for creating a design concept that maximizes the educational value of the Suter Science Center within the confines of the available budget.