January 2014 Planning Update
- Thanks to the generous support of 460 alumni, donors, and foundations, EMU exceeded its goal of $7 million for lab renovations a full year earlier than planned! Total gifts and commitments as of December 31, 2013 equal $7,581,811!
- With $7 million now in place to address the east wing/lab renovations, we turn our attention to several additional urgent needs in the west wing, including the iconic S-106 lecture hall, classrooms, and HVAC and sprinkler systems. Of the additional estimated $2.6 million needed to fund the complete transformation of the entire Suter Science Center, nearly $600,000 is already in place.
Estimated renovation timeline
- March – May 2014: Asbestos abatement in the east wing/lab areas and S-104 “the head room.”
- April 2014: Demolition of S-104 begins; construction completed by September 1, 2014.
- June 2014: East and south labs renovations begin.
- December 2014: South and east classrooms construction complete.
- January 2015: North labs renovations begin for completion by August 2015.
History of the renovation design and planning process
EMU established a design concept committee responsible for creating a design concept that maximizes the educational value of the Suter Science Center within the confines of the available budget.