“My internship at the Marie Reed Health Center has been an incredible experience. The staff here welcomed me with open arms and their patience was very much appreciated. Being a sophomore, I had no clinical experience. I couldn’t be more thankful for have gotten the opportunity to work with this amazing team. The patients at Marie Reed also have opened my eyes to many different cultures that I would have never had the opportunity to experience. The refugee clinic here brings in patients from around the world and the public health setting allows me to help with a wide variety of problems. I’ve gotten to see a little bit of every area of healthcare which will help me immensely starting my clinical level this upcoming fall.”
-Nancy Wharton, Community of Hope Clinic, spring 2015
- Community of Hope Clinic – Work with low income patients and families in an outpatient clinic in the Adams Morgan neighborhood. Useful language skills include English, Amharic, and Spanish. Working with evening teen clinics is also an option. (Only available during summer term)
- Children’s National Medical Center – Those interested in community health care work at the Children’s Health Project at THEARC DC, a large community organization, helping to educate families in ways they can promote their children’s health and wellbeing. Although students do not perform clinical duties, they work directly with patients and their parents on a variety of direct service-related tasks.
- Christ House – Students work one-on-one with patients. Nursing students and pre-professional health students may gain experience in wound care, taking vital signs, and talking with patients, all of whom are living at Christ House because they are homeless and suffering from a chronic illness such as diabetes, HIV, or cancer. (Only available during spring or summer term)
- Family Health and Birth Center is a birth center providing prenatal, birth, postnatal, gynecological and primary health care to women and their families. (Only available during summer term)
- Joseph’s House is a hospice home for homeless men and women who are are dying of AIDS and cancer. Interns at Joseph’s House will have the opportunity to work alongside alumni of EMU/WCSC.
- Maryland Sportscare and Rehab seeks pre-physical therapy students.
Hospitals and Clinics
- Jubilee Association
- La Clinica del Pueblo
- Mary’s Center (prenatal and child care)
- National Rehabilitation Hospital
- Mobile Medical Care
- Unity Health Care (Operates 13 local clinics)