The Journey Home from War workshop at Eastern Mennonite University, begins Sept. 12 and ends Sept.13
When Thursday September 12, 2013 (179 days ago)
The Journey Home from War is a two-day STAR workshop (September 12-13, 2013) for friends, families, congregations and communities of veterans and those who minister to them as they return to civilian life.
This workshop will build on the basic concepts of STAR* and apply it to the experience of military families:
• the effects of trauma on the body, mind, and spirit
• common responses to unhealed trauma
• recognizing the symptoms of Traumatic Brain Injury; and
• new skills and strategies to chart a healing journey
In addition, participants will learn about the process of coming home:
• stages veterans move through as they prepare for deployment and as they return;
• battlemind: unlearning some aspects of basic training in order to re-acclimate to life with their families
• the spiritual impact of war
• creating a specific plan to support veterans and military families
About the facilitator:
The Rev. Dr. Beverly Prestwood-Taylor of the Brookfield Institute, in Massachusetts has been working with returning veterans and with the congregations who serve them since 2007. She has assisted in the development of outreach to veterans, such as a military family support group, yoga for veterans, and retreats for returning veterans.
Register online here!
Intended Audience General Public
Phone # 540.432.4651