POSITION: Faculty Emeriti
Don Clymer has broad international experience in Latin America and Europe in both church-related service and academics. Prior to EMU, he taught Spanish, German and Latin American studies at Hesston (Kas.) College and directed their Global Issues Seminar. Along with teaching Spanish at EMU, Don and his spouse led four cross-cultural seminars to Guatemala and Mexico. He has graduate degrees in both Spanish Literature and Spiritual Formation.
Don served five years as director of EMU’s Cross-cultural Programs. In 2006 he returned full-time to the classroom. In May, 2016, Don retired from 34 years of teaching, and spent the first year of his retirement in Switzerland leading seminars on spirituality and culture and translating a play from Swiss German to English.
Bringing his many experiences together has led Don to explore in depth the intersection of cross-cultural experiences and spiritual formation.
Don is the author of numerous articles in a variety of journals and has published three books Meditations on the Beatitudes: Lessons from the Margins published by Cascadia Publishing House, The Spacious Heart: Room for Spiritual Awakening, published by Herald Press and Malinda in Mexico, an illustrated children’s book published by Ettelloc Publishing.
He blogs regularly at Klymer Klatsch and has a writer’s page on Good Reads.
MACL, Eastern Mennonite Seminary 2008
MA, Wichita State University 1979
BA, Goshen College 1975
AA, Hesston College 1973
*Clymer, D. (2015 July) “Be Still,” Purpose.
- Clymer, D. (2014, June) “Male spirituality: a personal journey toward wholeness,” Presence: An International Journal of Spiritual Direction.
- Clymer, D. (2014, April) “A New Creation”_The Mennonite_17(4)
- Clymer, D. (2013, December) “Resting in the Presence of God: Soul Care for Busy People,“Presence: An International Journal of Spiritual Direction. (pp. 24-31).
- Clymer, D. (2013, July). “Entertaining Angels” _The Mennonite_16(7).
- Clymer, D. (2012, December). “Where is your Heart?” The Mennonite 15(12).
- Clymer, D. (2011, October). “As you go . . .are you preaching or walking?” The Mennonite 14(10).
- Clymer, D. (2011, April). “Do you understand what I have done for you” The Mennonite 14(4).
- Clymer, D. (2011, March). “Music and Spiritual Direction,” Presence: An International Journal of Spiritual Direction. (pp. 34-38).
- Clymer, D. (2011, February 22). “Prayer for Patience and Hope in a Confusing World” Weekly Prayer for Peace. Peace and Justice Network of Mennonite Church USA.
- Clymer, D. (2010, March 11). “Morning Prayer for Orientation in a Broken World“Weekly Prayer for Peace. Peace and Justice Network of Mennonite Church USA.
- Clymer, D. (2010, February). “Young adults: We stand amazed in their presence” The Mennonite 13(2).
- Clymer, D. (2009, June). “For I was a stranger and you invited me in” The Mennonite 12(12), 8-10.
- Clymer, D. (2009, April). “Prayer changes things” The Mennonite 12(8), 14-15.
- Also appeared in OurFaithDigest.org, June 2009