DEPARTMENT: Biology Dept
POSITION: Associate Professor
DEPARTMENT: MA in Biomedicine
POSITION: Assistant Professor
LOCATION: Main Campus, Harrisonburg | AN 202
PHONE: (540) 432-4625
Dr. Jeffrey Copeland has been at EMU since 2009 and teaches courses in genetics, cell biology, microbiology and immunology. Jeff earned his PhD in Biology from the California Institute of Technology and completed his post-doctoral training at the University of California, Los Angeles. His research interests include probing the genetics determinants in the aging process, the role of the mitochondria in hyperoxic resistance, and the genetic basis for multidrug resistance in E. coli. While not at work, Jeff spends his time at home with his wife, his three daughters, biking and gardening.
Ph.D. (2005) in Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA
B.A. (1996) in Biology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- Cormier, DT, Berry, AB, Rhodes, MF, Copeland JM. What makes humans human?: a review of important genetic differences between chimpanzees and humans. 2014 manuscript submitted.
- Reesor, MJ, King, IJ, Copeland JM. Development of a Tetracycline Resistant Strain of E. coli Sensitive to Ultraviolet Radiation. 2014 JofSR, 3, 63-68.
- Copeland, JM, Cho J, Lo T Jr, Hur JH, Bahadorani S, Arabyan T, Rabie J, Soh J, Walker DW. Extension of Drosophila life span by RNAi of the mitochondrial respiratory chain. 2009 Curr Biol. 19, 1591-8.
- Ribaya JP, Ranmuthu M, Copeland J, Boyarskiy S, Blair AP, Hay B, Laski FA. The deubiquitinase emperor’s thumb is a regulator of apoptosis in Drosophila. 2009 Dev Biol. 329, 25-35.
- Copeland JM, Bosdet I, Freeman JD, Guo M, Gorski SM, Hay BA. echinus, required for interommatidial cell sorting and cell death in the Drosophila pupal retina, encodes a protein with homology to ubiquitin-specific proteases. 2007 BMC Dev Biol. 7, 82.
- Vernooy SY, Copeland J, Ghaboosi N, Griffin EE, Yoo SJ, Hay BA. Cell death regulation in Drosophila: conservation of mechanism and unique insights. 2000 J Cell Biol 24, 150. Review.
Scholarly Presentations and Abstracts
- A Drosophila Mutant Resistant to Oxidative Stress, Virginia Academy of Science, Norfolk State University, May 2012
- “The Genetics Behind the Aging Process”, Suter Science Seminar, Harrisonburg, VA, January, 2011.