Important updates for Residency in Virginia
There have been several regulation changes from the Virginia Board of Counseling effective
August 24, 2016.
Please review the full list of final changes by clicking on this link Board of Counseling Regulations.
Submitting paperwork can be a cumbersome task and it is important to stay organized and aware of new changes and updates to the Board of Counseling regulations. Your role during this part of your career path is called a “Resident in Counseling”. Listed below is a step-by-step process to help guide you through this process, be sure to make copies of all the documents you plan on sending in for your own records. This is simply a guide, it is crucial to also follow the instructions provided in the LPC packet when submitting your paperwork. This information is for only, if you are moving to or living in another state please check that state’s regulations for Residency requirements.
Instructions for submitting paperwork
Here is what you will need to do PRIOR to beginning your residency in order to be considered license eligible by the Va. Dept of Health Professions:
1. Official transcript (obtain through registrar’s office)
2. Verification of Required Coursework and Internship Form (Obtain this from MAC Department) – Be Sure to carefully check and make sure this lines up with your personal experience.
3. Job description of your position (get from your employer)
4. Registration of supervision form
a) You and your residency site supervisor fill out these forms together
5. Registration of supervisor fee (See LPC packet for fees)
What you should be mailing to the board (be sure to keep copies for yourself):
1. Transcript in an sealed envelope
2. Official Job description
3. Verification of Required Coursework and Internship Form in a sealed envelop with a signature across the seal
4. Registration of supervision forms, signed
5. Your check for the registration fee
In the meantime: wait for your confirmation letter from the board before you start counting residency hours. You may not accrue hours towards residency until you have received a letter from the board.
During Residency: track your hours accordingly and complete quarterly evaluations with your residency supervisor as directed.
Application to add or change registered supervisor or supervised setting Application Packet to Add/Change to Supervision.