Shenandoah Valley Youth Symphony 2015-2016
25th Season Celebration Concert
On March 22nd we celebrated our 25th Season and recognized our graduating seniors!
About the Youth Symphony
This ensemble, conducted by Maria Lorcas, provides a high level ensemble experience for advanced junior and senior high wind, percussion and string students. Rhonda Stees is the Symphony’s Wind & Brass coach. She will also be the substitute conductor for part of the 2015-16 season while Ms. Lorcas is on leave.
Admission is by audition only. Auditions are held in September and January. The Youth Symphony meets once a week for 8 weeks in the fall and 8 weeks in the spring. To schedule an audition please call 540-432-4277.
The Shenandoah Valley Youth Symphony is holding auditions Monday, September 28th 6:15-7:30pm and wind auditions Sunday, October 4th 12:45-1:30pm (or by appointment) at Eastern Mennonite University. Talented and serious high school students (Flute, Bassoon, French Horn, Tuba, Harp and String players) are encouraged to apply to perform with this high-level ensemble. Call 432-4277 for information and to arrange an audition time.
- Play one prepared piece without accompaniment (SRO piece is fine)
- 2 or 3-octave scale, your choice
- Sight reading
Public performances are scheduled during each session. Auditions are also held each spring for rising seniors who wish to perform a solo with the Youth Symphony.
Youth Symphony Fellowship Program:
In 2014 a new Youth Symphony Fellowship Program was established through the generous donations of Bibb and Dolly Frazier. The Fellowship Program supports students who play at a high level and are committed to the Symphony through scholarship money for private lessons and tuition for the Symphony. Priority is given to instrumentalists needed to maintain a solid orchestra. Please contact for more information.
In order to be considered for the new Fellowship (includes Youth Symphony tuition and money towards private lessons), you must:
• Submit a recommendation letter from your private teacher (email is fine) prior to your audition to Sharon Miller, email@example.com.
• Commit to the entire season
• Audition on September 28 or October 4 (scale of your choice, prepared piece of your choice, sight-reading)
• Be an ambassador for the Youth Symphony at your school (promoting auditions and concerts)
• Assist the conductor or program director with duties that will be decided after the auditions.
Contact if you would like to make a donation to help this important program continue in the future.
2015-16 Youth Symphony Schedule
- Youth Symphony Rehearsals begin October 4th (Members will receive a detailed schedule)
- Musical treats concert for young children on November 1st, 3:30pm in Martin Chapel.
- Fall Concert with SVCC on November 22rd at 4:00 pm in Lehman Auditorium.
- Rehearsals resume January 31st for the Spring.
- Spring Concert on March 20 at 4:00 pm in Lehman Auditorium.
- Concerto Auditions for rising Seniors will be held in May 2016.
The purpose of the Youth Symphony is:
- to experience a broad range of symphonic literature
- to broaden training in an orchestral setting
- to experience a high level of music making
- to express individual creativity through concerto performances and performances of student compositions
- to provide an orchestral forum not otherwise available for most wind and percussion players
Sign up for Jr. Strings HERE!
This ensemble is for intermediate students who read music at the Suzuki Book 2 level or higher. It is conducted by Sharon Miller. Basic orchestral skills are taught through appropriate musical selections.
Membership is by teacher recommendation. The group meets 9 weeks each semester and performs publicly at least once during the year.
Registration Coming Soon for the 2015-16 Season!