Shenandoah Valley Youth Symphony 2016-2017
About the Youth Symphony
This ensemble, conducted by Maria Lorcas, provides a high level ensemble experience for advanced junior and senior high wind, percussion and string students. Rhonda Stees is the Symphony’s Wind & Brass coach.
Admission is by audition only. Auditions are held in September and January. Talented and serious high school students are encouraged to apply to perform with this high-level ensemble.
The Youth Symphony meets on Sunday afternoons for 8 weeks in the fall and 8 weeks in the winter/spring.
Audition dates for Fall 2016 are:
September 28 (evening), October 2 (afternoon), and October 9 (afternoon). To schedule an audition please call 540-432-4277.
The Youth Symphony currently has openings in: french horn, trumpet, trombone, tuba, flute, piccolo, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, violin, viola, cello, double bass, harp, and percussion.
- Play one prepared piece without accompaniment (SRO piece is fine)
- 2 or 3-octave scale, your choice
- Sight reading
Auditions are also held each spring for rising seniors who wish to perform a solo with the Youth Symphony.
Please note: We will have openings for principal players in all sections except viola, cello, and double bass. If you would like to audition for principal chair of a particular section, you will also need to call 540-432-4277 for an audition time on September 28 or October 2, (or October 9: winds and percussion only).
Youth Symphony Fellowship Program:
In 2014, the Youth Symphony Fellowship Program was established through the generous donations of Bibb and Dolly Frazier. The Fellowship Program supports students who play at a high level and are committed to the Symphony through scholarship money for private lessons and tuition for the Symphony. Priority is given to instrumentalists needed to maintain a solid orchestra. Please contact for more information.
In order to be considered for the new Fellowship (includes Youth Symphony tuition and money towards private lessons), you must:
• Submit a recommendation letter from your private teacher (email is fine) prior to your audition to Sharon Miller, email@example.com.
• Commit to the entire season
• Audition on September 28 or October 2 (scale of your choice, prepared piece of your choice, sight-reading)
• Be an ambassador for the Youth Symphony at your school (promoting auditions and concerts)
• Assist the conductor or program director with duties that will be decided after the auditions.
Contact if you would like to make a donation to help this important program continue in the future.
2016-17 Youth Symphony Schedule
(Members will receive a detailed schedule)
- Youth Symphony Rehearsals for Fall 2016 begin October 2nd
- Children’s Concert on October 30th, 3:30pm in Martin Chapel.
- Joint Concert with SVCC on November 20th, 4pm in Lehman Auditorium.
- Rehearsals for Winter 2017 begin February 5th
- Spring Concert on March 26th, 4pm in Lehman Auditorium.
- Concerto Auditions for rising Seniors will be held in May 2017.
The purpose of the Youth Symphony is:
- to experience a broad range of symphonic literature
- to broaden training in an orchestral setting
- to experience a high level of music making
- to express individual creativity through concerto performances and performances of student compositions
- to provide an orchestral forum not otherwise available for most wind and percussion players
Sign up for 2016-17 Jr. Strings HERE!
This ensemble is for intermediate students who read music at the Suzuki Book 2 level or higher. It is conducted by Sharon Miller. Basic orchestral skills are taught through appropriate musical selections.
Membership is by teacher recommendation. The group meets 9 weeks each semester and performs publicly at least once during the year.