Nursing at EMU
EMU’s nursing program is a learning community that functions within a sacred covenant model of nursing characterized by trust among partners, loyalty, responsibility, mutual obligations and unconditional faithfulness. At EMU, you’ll:
- Interact 1:1 with faculty in mentoring relationships.
- Enjoy a flexible testing schedule with selected classes.
- Gain skills in adaptability and confidence for this ever-changing field.
- Make a difference by using research in practice.
- Participate in cross-cultural study to develop global awareness and appreciation of diverse cultures.
In addition to being a premiere academic program at EMU and in our region, our nursing program is approved by the Virginia Board of Nursing and accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
Careers in nursing
EMU nursing graduates often develop a personal art of nursing, having a sense of the sacred in moments and places, and a profound sense of respect for all people. EMU nurses are concerned with the “whole” person, family and community. They learn to work in any setting where nurses are needed.
Nurses who have studied at EMU now work in community-based health services, primary care settings, education, long-term care, mental health, emergency nursing, critical care nursing, medical-surgical nursing, pediatric nursing, obstetrical nursing, occupational health nursing, forensic nursing, home health nursing and international settings.
Study options for nursing majors
- Traditional Four-Year Degree
- Traditional Second Degree (four-semester program)
- Accelerated Second Degree (15-month program)
- LPNs (curriculum for LPNs with work experience)
Application and admission
If you’re a prospective first-year undergraduate student, find your admissions counselor and start the conversation. If you’re a transfer student, contact the admissions counselor who works with transfers, .
Other nursing programs at EMU
Degree completion – RN to Bachelor of Science, Major in Nursing
Registered nurses wanting to earn their BS can enroll in EMU’s adult degree completion program (evening program), designed for working professionals. The ADCP nursing program is offered at the main Harrisonburg campus and at EMU’s Lancaster site.
MS in Nursing
Our online master’s level program offers two tracks: leadership and management, and school nurse leadership. Both are designed for working nurses who need to maintain family commitments, stay in their home area, and remain on the job while completing graduate studies. Contact us at 540-432-4240.