Office Phone: (540) 432-4558
Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: CC 340
Kirsten Beachy in the news:
Visual & Communication Arts Dept and Language & Literature Dept
Kirsten earned her MFA in creative writing at West Virginia University. She is a contributing editor to The Tusculum Review and edited the anthology Tongue Screws and Testimonies: Poems, Stories, and Essays Inspired by the Martyrs Mirror. Kirsten co-chaired Mennonites Writing VI: Solos and Harmonies, a bi-national writing conference, in Spring 2012.
Kirsten is currently serving as interim director of EMU’s Core Curriculum.
She lives in Briery Branch with her husband, a bevy of backyard chickens and ducks, several hives of honeybees, and Sophie the cat.
B.A. Philosophy & Theology, Eastern Mennonite University
B.A. Theater, Eastern Mennonite University
M.F.A. Creative Writing, West Virginia University
- “Walking.” The Tusculum Review. Forthcoming.
- “Field Notes Toward a Doctrine of Chicken.” The Cresset. Lent 2011
- Tongue Screws and Testimonies: Poems, Stories, and Essays Inspired by the Martyrs Mirror, Herald Press, 2010. Anthology editor.
- “Fertility.” Norton Anthology of Hint Fiction. 2010
- “Wild Things Need a Mother.” Review. Dreamseeker Magazine. Winter 2010
- “The Last Worker.” Tusculum Review Online. December 2010
- “The Last Mile.” Rhubarb. Winter 2009
- “Me and the Martyrs.” (reprint) Center for Mennonite Writing Journal1.5 (Sept. 2009)
- “Selling the Farm.” Shenandoah 59.1 (2009). Listed as “notable” essay in Best American Essays 2010
- “A Butcher of Conscience.” The Tusculum Review 4 (2008).
- “The Institute of Transcendence.” Relief: A Quarterly Christian Expression 2.1 (2008):101-108
- “Is that all?” Dreamseeker Magazine 7.4 (2007): 7-11.
- “Me and the Martyrs.” The Tusculum Review3 (2007): 7-24
- “The Comforts of Home.” eightyone Dec. 2006.
- “Cinderella Maneuvers.” WriterAdvice.com June 2006.
- “Report from Amish Country.” Dreamseeker Magazine 5.4 (2005): 5-10.
- “The Day They Ask.” Nonfiction. Dreamseeker Magazine 5.1 (2005): 23-25. [Reprinted in eightyone November 2005.]
- Features, interviews, and columns for eightyone magazine, March 2006-January 2007.
- Features and news articles for Crossroads. 2000, 2005-2006
- “Martyr Stock: Literary Responses to the Martyrs Mirror.” Martyrs Mirror: Reflections Across Time Study Conference. Young Center for Anabaptist and Pietist Studies, Elizabethtown College. June 2010.
- “Me and the Martyrs.” Mennonite/s Writing Conference. Bluffton, Ohio. October 2006.
- “Motivating Revision Through Written Response.” WVU Writing Program. Morgantown, W. Va. Spring 2005.
- “Martyr Stock” Sermon. Shalom Mennonite Congregation, Harrisonburg, Va. Summer 2010.
- “Notes from the Chicken Run” Sermon. Shalom Mennonite Congregation, Harrisonburg, Va. Summer 2009.
- “The Blessing of the Dishclothes” Shalom Mennonite Congregation, Harrisonburg, Va. Summer 2008.
- “That’s Not All.” Sermon. Shalom Mennonite Congregation, Harrisonburg, Va. Summer 2007
- Tongue Screws and Testimonies Reading. Arts Council of the Valley’s Smith House, Harrisonburg, Va. Jan. 14, 2011.
- Tongue Screws and Testimonies Release Reading. EMU. Nov. 18, 2010.
- Never Tell Mother Poets. Flash Fiction. Common Grounds Reading. EMU. Fall 2009.
- “Martyrs and Chickens.” Nonfiction reading. EMU Department of Language & Literature, Harrisonburg, Va. April 2007.
- “The Derby.” Fiction reading. WVU Graduate Reading, Morgantown, W. Va. Spring 2006.
- “The Day they Ask.” Nonfiction reading. EMU Honors Program, Harrisonburg, Va. January 2006.
- “Report from Amish Country.” Nonfiction reading. EMU Bible and Religion Department, Harrisonburg, Va. Fall 2005.
- MFA readings. Various fiction pieces. Morgantown, W. Va. Jan. 2005, Sept. 2004, Jan. 2004.
- The Elephant Market Reading. Fiction. Morgantown, W. Va. April 2004.
- Friendly City Food Co-op volunteer
- Shenandoah Valley Community School volunteer
- Shalom Mennonite Congregation, Harrisonburg, Va. Worship committee, Sunday school assistant, worship leader.
- Judge for WriterAdvice.com’s 2007 Flash Fiction contest.
- The Association of Writers and Writing Programs
- AWP 2011.
- Festival of Faith and Writing. Calvin College. 2010.
- Listening for the Language of Nature; Wilderness Wind writer’s retreat with Jeff Gundy, July 2009.
- Association of Writers and Writing Programs Conference, Jan. 30-Feb. 2, 2008.
- Blackfriar’s Conference, Oct. 23-28. 2007.
- GVC First-Year Seminar/College Writing Committee, Spring 2008
- Adviser to The Phoenix, student Literary and Arts Journal, 2007-08