Office Phone: (540) 432-4164
Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: RLN 213
Carol Snell-Feikema teaches Spanish language, Immigration Issues and community-learning, Latin American Civilization, Spanish Civilization and Spanish Literature. She and her husband, Michael, led the EMU Spain and Morocco Cross-Cultural Semester Fall 2013. A native of Iowa, she has also lived, studied and traveled extensively throughout Mexico and Central America.
She received her Master’s Degree in Spanish from Minnesota State University, Mankato in 2004. Her thesis, “The Process of Concientización in Isabel Allende’s De amor y de sombra,” studies the process of spiritual awakening and critical consciousness in the context of the Pinochet dictatorship in Chile. She studied Globalization and Liberation Theology at Departamento Ecuménico de Investigaciones in San Jose, Costa Rica with professors, human rights workers and missioners from throughout Latin America.
Prior to coming to EMU, she taught Spanish and Service-Learning at South Dakota State University, leading university cross-cultural and study abroad experiences to Guatemala, Mexico, Spain and the US-Mexico border at Nogales. Student service-learning projects have included running a day-camp for children in the shanty towns of Nogales, Mexico, giving out food, blankets and medicine in response to Tropical Storm Agatha in Guatemala, teaching English to Spanish-speaking immigrants, tutoring Spanish-speaking school children, translating at a local food bank, working with homeless people in Granada, Spain, designing and painting a welcome mural on a village guesthouse in Morocco as part of a program for revitalization of rural communities, and helping build a mosque in the Rif Mountains of Morocco.
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Master of Science Degree in Spanish
Departamento Ecuménico de Investigaciones, San José, Costa Rica
Research and Social Seminars on Globalization: Latin American and
Theological Perspectives. Diploma: Formación Socio-Teológica y Pastoral
University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
Education Major (30 additional credits) with Endorsements: K-9 Social
Bachelor of General Studies in Pre-medicine and Anthropology.
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Mexico City, Mexico
Coursework in Spanish and Latin American Studies at School for Foreign Students.
Scholarly Presentations and Abstracts
- “They Treat Us Like a Paper Cup: Poultry Plants and Immigrant Labor in the Shenandoah Valley,” SCOLAS Conference (Southwest Council of Latin American Studies), Universidad Autónoma de Campeche, Campeche, Mexico, March 11, 2017.
- “No me olvides: Historical Memory in Isabel Allende’s De amor y de sombra,” SCOLAS Conference (Southwest Council of Latin American Studies), New Orleans, February 26, 2016.
- “The Art of Leading With: Panel on Grassroots and Community-Based Leadership” with Jaime Gonzales-Miller, EMU Leadership Conference, “Leading into the Common Good: An Anabaptist Perspective,” April 8, 2016.
- “The Process of Concientización in Isabel Allende’s De amor y de sombra,” Mountain Interstate Foreign Language Conference, Furman University, Greenville, South Carolina, October 18, 2014.
- “The Other 9-11: Concientización and Solidarity in Chile,” Flash Seminar presentation, Eastern Mennonite University, September 18, 2014.
- “Canto y cultura: the power of music in teaching,” MSC Conference for Teachers of World Languages, Eastern Mennonite University, April 10, 2015.
- “Experiences in Service-Learning,” Student Success Emporium, South Dakota State University, Fall 2010 Faculty Development Conference.
- “Food, Agriculture and Society: Reflections on Service-Learning in Spanish and Guatemala Service-Learning Study Abroad,” Honors Colloquium, October, 2010.
- “The Conscientizing Impact of Direct Experience: Service-Learning in Spanish,” Midwest Consortium for Service-Learning in Higher Education Conference 2009, University of Nebraska at Omaha.
- “Service-Learning in Spanish: SPAN 492 and Study Abroad Guatemala and US-Mexico Border,” Faculty Development Series Workshop on Service-Learning, November, 2010, and SDSU Service-Learning Training Workshop, July, 2009.
- “The Human Face of Globalization: Service-Learning in Spanish.” Midwest Consortium for Service-Learning in Higher Education Conference 2008, South Dakota State University.
- “Getting Students to Use the Target Language: Strategies,” South Dakota World Languages Association 2004 Annual Conference, Rapid City, SD.
Exhibits, Performances and Productions
- Soloist and Song leader, Poultry Workers Appreciation Day, November 22, 2016, Justice for Poultry Workers MLK Commemorative Rally, April 9, 2017, Paris Climate Accords Rally, June 10, 2017.
- Soloist, Song leader, Speaker, Latino Student Alliance Fall 2016 Chapel, Fall 2016 Banquet, Semana Santa Easter 2017 Chapel.
- Soloist and Song leader, Martin Luther King, Jr. Coalition “Open Mic, Open Minds” community forums, spring-fall 2016; People’s Day Celebration, January 18, 2016; Harriet Tubman Center Grand Opening, Spring 2017.
- Soloist with EMU Chamber Singers, Zion Mennonite Church 4/10, final chapel 4/22, final concert 4/24, Spring 2016.
- EMU Homecoming Banquet 2015: Guest Artist (vocal, guitar, piano), October 10, 2015.
- EMU Homecoming Banquet 2014: Performed folk, peace, spiritual/religious and Spanish-language songs (vocal and guitar), October 11, 2014.
- EMU Homecoming Weekend 2012 International Market Buffet: Performed Spanish-language and peace songs (vocal and guitar), October 13, 2012.
- Variety Night at Cottonwood 2010: Guest Artist. Performed original, Spanish-language and peace songs (vocal and guitar).
- Friends of Haiti Benefit Concerts 2010 and 2011: Key Organizer and performing artist (vocal and guitar). Brookings, SD.
- Brookings Open Mic: Guest Artist. Performed original, Spanish-language and peace and justice songs (vocal, guitar and piano), April, 2010.
- SDSU Festival of Cultures: Guest Artist. Performed original, Spanish-language and peace songs (vocal and guitar), April, 2009.
- South Dakota World Languages Association Conference Awards Reception: Guest Artist, October 2009.
- SDSU Modern Languages Awards Reception: Guest Artist, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011.
Church, Community and Professional Service
- Faith in Action (local association of 23 congregations organizing for social justice) Issues Committee, Labor Sub-committee active member, addressing needs of immigrant poultry workers in Shenandoah Valley. Participated in many grassroots meetings of immigrant workers.
- Organizer, song-leader and activist for Comprehensive Immigration Reform, public awareness and convivencia: Rallies to stop the deportation of Cesar Lara Rios; Justice for Poultry Worker Rallies, November 22, 2016 & April 9, 2017; Vigils against Dakota Access Pipeline, fall 2016; Commemoration of the 35th Anniversary of the Assassination of Archbishop Oscar Romero, April 10, 2015; student-led and local vigils for deported Mennonite pastor from Honduras, 43 disappeared students from Mexico, “Black Lives Matter,” anti-human trafficking, alternatives to more jails; Martin Luther King Celebration “People’s Day;” MLK Way Coalition “Open Minds, Open Mikes,” fall 2014 – fall 2016; Harrisonburg Immigration Rallies, April, 2013 & 2014; Fast for Families EMU Luncheon and Community Supper, April 7, 2014; Public Prayer Vigil for Immigration Reform, Day of Prayer and Faxing, May 19, 2013.
- Active member of Community Mennonite Church, Harrisonburg, Virginia.
- Prelude and Offertory Music (guitar and vocal), Community Mennonite Church, Harrisonburg, Virginia.
- Education and public witness on climate change: People’s Climate Marches, Washington, DC, March 29, 2017 & New York City, September 21, 2014; Washington DC and local rallies, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017; Nonviolence Training, Charlottesville, Virginia, May 17, 2014.
- Nexus Sunday School Presentation: “Experiences in Latin America: A Christian Perspective.” Community Mennonite Church, Harrisonburg, Virginia, March 11, 2012.
- Sermon: “God Chose What is Weak in the World.” Brookings United Church of Christ, Brookings, South Dakota, June 5, 2011.
- Church music: Accompany congregational singing (piano and guitar) and provide special music (piano, guitar and vocal). Brookings United Church of Christ, Brookings, South Dakota, 2009-2011.
- Eulogy: “Overcoming Life’s Difficulties with Love (and Music),” Bethel Lutheran Brethren Church, Joice, Iowa, November 13, 2010.
- Eulogy: “To Sing My Soul in Awesome Wonder,” United Methodist Church, Plymouth, Iowa, August 16, 2010.
- Eulogy: “Life is Sacred; Life is Good,” Bethel Lutheran Brethren Church, Joice, Iowa, April 7, 2007.
Honors, Awards and Grants
- Outstanding Thesis of the College of Arts and Humanities 2004, Minnesota State University, Mankato and a finalist for the MAGS awards. Thesis, “The Process of Concientización in Isabel Allende’s De amor y de sombra.”
- SDSU Faculty Service-Learning Award, 2008.
- Spanish Club Teacher of the Year Award, 2007.
- SDSU Mini-grants for Service-Learning in Spanish (awarded 6 times).
- Alpha Mu Gamma, National Collegiate Foreign Language Honor Society
- SCOLAS (Southwest Council of Latin American Studies)
Professional Conferences Attended
- SCOLAS 2017 Conference (Southwest Council of Latin American Studies), presenter, participant, Universidad de Campeche, Campeche, Mexico, March 9-11, 2017.
- SCOLAS 2016 Conference (Southwest Council of Latin American Studies), presenter, panel chair, participant, New Orleans, February 25-27, 2016.
- EMU Leadership Conference, “Leading into the Common Good: An Anabaptist Perspective,” EMU, April 7-9, 2016.
- Mountain Interstate Foreign Language Conference, Furman University, Greenville, South Carolina, October 16-18, 2014.
- Cultura y comunidad Conference, “Focus on Immigration in Our Community” and VALHEN Lecture Series, James Madison University Latin American and Caribbean Studies Program, Harrisonburg, VA, April 16-17, 2015.
- Dismantling Racism Workshop, Virginia Organizing, Harrisonburg, VA, April 18, 2015.
- Innovation in Pedagogy Summit, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, May 6, 2014.
- Kairos Place, EMU Faculty Writers’ Workshop, May 14-25, 2012.
- Mennonite/s Writing VI: Solos and Harmonies, EMU, March 29- April 1, 2012.
- Interpreting for Social Justice, Wayside Center, Faber, VA, March 23-25, 2012.
- Workshop on Immigration Law, Andrew Bodden (Mennonite Central Committee), February 4, 2012.
- Listening Project Workshop on 287g in Rockingham County, 9 hour training at Sims Center, Harrisonburg, VA, January 28, 2012.
- Midwest Consortium for Service-Learning in Higher Education Conference 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010.
- SD World Languages Conference 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009.
- “Deepening Critical Reflection and Civic Engagement” with Dr. Patty Clayton. Service-Learning Workshop, Omaha, Nebraska, 4/30-5/1/2009.
New Courses Taught
- Internship in Spanish (Community Health Center, Blue Ridge Legal Services, Skyline Literacy, etc.)
- Survey of Spanish Literature (2015)
- EMU Cross-Cultural Semester Program to Spain and Morocco
- Spanish Civilization and Culture (2012)
- Latin American Civilization and Culture (2011)
- Immigration Issues
- Advanced Grammar and Composition
- Service-Learning in Spanish (2008, SDSU)
- EMU Representative Shenandoah Valley Scholars Latino Initiative Spring 2017-present.
- Member Creation Care Council Fall 2015 to present.
- Member Campus Ministries Council Spring 2015 to present.
- Departmental Chapel Organizer, Spring 2017 and 2016.
- Search Committee Language and Literature, Fall 2015-Spring 2016.
- Song leader Latino Student Association Easter Chapel spring 2016 and 2017, LSA Fall Chapel 2016, University Forum March 3/21/16, Celebration of Creation chapel 3/2/16.
- Soloist with EMU Chamber Singers, Zion Mennonite Church 4/10, final chapel 4/22, final concert 4/24, Spring 2016.
- Leader EMU Cross-Cultural Semester in Spain and Morocco Fall 2013.
- Academic advisor for Spanish majors, 2011-17.
- Community-learning organizer for SPAN 330 Immigration Issues (2011-present) and Spain-Morocco Cross-Cultural Fall 2013.
- Spanish Curriculum Committee; re-design Spanish curriculum with colleagues.
- Lead organizer_Noche Bohemia_ Spanish Program; organize program of student presentations of Spanish-language music, literature, drama and dance; song-leader; singer-musician.
- Spanish Film Series organizer, discussion leader with Spanish faculty.
- Member QEP Implementation Team; 2012-2015.
- Member of Department Chapel Committee. Provide music and testimonial for chapel.
- Provide music for departmental events (Spanish Program, Dept. Chapel and other events, etc.)
- Classroom observations for Adjunct Faculty.
- Member of Search Committee for Spanish Faculty, 2011-12.
- Host for Mennonite/s Writing VI: Solos and Harmonies Conference, EMU, March 29- April 1, 2012.