Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: SB 105
Wendy Miller in the news:
Professor Emerita/Spirit Form.
“I am a child in the household of God. Here Jesus calls me to come, to be with him in solitude and in community, to be known and to be transformed by his Spirit. Here my gifts and vocation are named and given direction. I am a pastor, a servant of Christ, offering soul care and spiritual guidance to others. I am called to invite people to open their attention to God’s loving presence and work in their lives. With the help of the Holy Spirit, we learn to receive, discern, and incarnate God’s gracious love in Jesus Christ as we live in faithful obedience to the gospel, in the church and in the world.”
Wendy earned her B.A. from Iowa Wesleyan College, an M.A. in church leadership from EMS, and studied at the Shalem Institute of Spiritual Formation and did further work at General Theological Seminary. She has taught at EMS since 1991, and her previous experience includes serving as a chaplain at Virginia Mennonite Retirement Community and as associate pastor of Bethlehem (Pa.) Mennonite Church. Alongside writing articles and books, Wendy serves as a retreat leader and spiritual director.
B.A., Iowa Wesleyan College
Associated Mennonite Biblical Seminary
Clinical Pastoral Education
M.A., Eastern Mennonite Seminary
S.T.M., General Theological Seminary
- Learning to Listen, Upper Room Books, 1993
- Invitation to Presence: A Guide to Spiritual Disciplines, Upper Room Books, 1995
- Jesus, Our Spiritual Director: A Pilgrimage through the Gospels, Upper Room Books, 2004
- “Spiritual Formation,” monthly column in Lectionary Homiletics
- Various articles in other publications
- SoulSpace- guidance for scripture reading and prayer on EMU’s website.
- Volunteer Chaplain, Virginia Mennonite Retirement Community, 1985-88
- Associate pastor, Bethlehem (Pa.) Mennonite Church, 1989-90
- Resource for spiritual direction and retreats, School for Spiritual Formation, Virginia Conf. 1986-
- Faculty, Academy for Spiritual Leadership, Louisiana Conf of the United Methodist Church, 1999-
- Training in Spiritual Direction, Troy Conf. of the United Methodist Church, 2004-, and Mississippi Conf. of the United Methodist Church, 2005-
- Designing and Implementing an Apprenticeship-Style (outside the walls) Model and Component in Selected Seminary Courses Scholarship Practice 2006-07