Pre-Medicine Mission and Goals
- Provide quality basic science and liberal arts courses that strengthen students in their preparation for a professional career in an area of the health sciences
- Educate students regarding different health science careers
- Provide opportunity for students to gain clinical and practicum experiences within the context of their chosen health science field
- Advise and assist students in the application process to medical schools
- Enhance the development of faith, ethics, and compassionate virtue in the character of students who are preparing for a career in medicine.
Intended educational goals:
- Will complete EMU’s required science and prerequisite courses with an average GPA of 3.50 or greater.
- Will have chose to “do science” via an independent biology research or practicum program rather than simply learning about science.
- Will participate in two or more clinical experiences related to medicine logging a total of 100 contact hours (minimum).
- Will participate in two or more volunteer experience(s) that involve people but may not be clinical in its orientation, logging a total of 100 contact hours (minimum).
- Will understand the prerequisites and entrance requirements for the medical schools of choice; students will consider allopathic and/or osteopathic medicine as their intended goal(s) and will apply to a minimum of five medical schools selected to match their credentials.
- Will successfully take the MCAT by scoring in the upper 80 th percentile and complete the AMCAS application process
- EMU’s three year average applicant success rate for medical school admittance will be 80% greater than the corresponding national average of medical school applicants.