Print Header Logo

International Student Services

Information on Dependents

United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) allows for the spouse and/or children (under the age of 21) of an F-1 visa holder to reside in the US until the F-1 visa holders program is completed. There are a number of requirements that need to be considered before a dependent can be issued the immigration forms to apply for their F-2 visa. Below is the list of information and forms to be completed before the office of International Student Services can issue an I-20 form for dependents.

USCIS requires students to provide documentation of additional funding for dependents. This information will be added to the I-20 form. Additional funding of $5,000 per year is required for every F-2 dependent spouse and $3,000 per year for every F-2 dependent child. Please provide information regarding the amount and source of your funds on the Financial Certification form. You must also provide the requested documentation from each source of funding.

After all the information has been completed, please schedule a meeting with the International Student Adviser to review your documents. You will need to complete the Request For Dependent(s) I-20 Form which provides necessary information for completing the I-20 form.

Please note the following restrictions that apply to F-2 visa holders:

  • The F-2 spouse of an F-1 student may not engage in full time study, and the F-2 child may only engage in full time study if the study is in an elementary or secondary school (kindergarten through twelfth grade).
  • Individuals in F-2 status may not accept employment or engage in business under any circumstances.

List of recommended documents when applying for F-2 visa at US embassy:

  1. Valid Passport
  2. Dependent I-20 form
  3. Documentation of relationship to F-1 visa holder
    1. Marriage license (spouse)
    2. Birth certificate (children)
  4. Documentation of sufficient funds to cover expenses in the US
  5. Documentation F-1 visa holder is in valid status
    1. Copy of F-1s I-20 form
    2. School transcripts of F-1
    3. Letter of recommendation from International Student Adviser
  6. Be prepared to demonstrate intend to leave the US upon the termination of the status of the principal F-1 student
  7. Embassy may have additional forms to complete, please review their requirements