Print Header Logo

International Student Services

Glossary of Terms

Following is a list of terms and/or acronyms related to your legal status in the U.S. , or to EMU programs. If you hear others not mentioned below, I invite you to bring them to the attention of the ISA so they can be included in the next edition of this handbook. The terms are listed below in alphabetical order.

B-1/B-2 Visa or Visitors Visa: Visa issued to a person coming to the United States for short-term business or pleasure.

CIS (formerly,“INS”), The Citizenship and Immigration Services: The U.S. agency which handles all immigration-related questions. If you ever need to apply for work authorization or a change of status, this is the agency you will contact.

CEE; China Educational Exchange: Program which brings Chinese scholars to EMU for up to one year of study and research.

DS-2019 : If you are in the U.S. on a J-1 visa, this is the document issued to you by EMU or by your program sponsor, which you used to obtain a visa and enter the U.S. As of August 2002, form IAP-66 is being replaced by form DS-2019, so for the next several years both forms will be utilized.

EAD; Employment Authorization Document: The card issued by the CIS for off-campus employment through either the economic need application or for Optional Practical Training following graduation.

F-1 Visa; Student Visa: Visa issued to a person coming to the United States for full-time studies.

I-20 : If you are in the U.S. on an F-1 visa, this is the document issued to you by EMU which you used to obtain a visa and enter the U.S.

I-94 : The small white card which you received when you entered the U.S. This card should be stapled into your passport and is extremely important to you despite its informal appearance.

IEP; Intensive English Program : EMU’s department which teaches English as a second language.

IRS; Internal Revenue Service: The government office which manages all U.S. income tax information. All F-1 and J-1 visa holders are required to file a statement with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) each year, regardless of whether or not income was earned in the U.S. Click here for more information …

ISA: International Student Adviser: Also considered the"Designated School Official"(DSO) for Immigration purposes. Please see the ISA for any questions you may have related to your stay in the U.S. and at EMU -it is his/her job to assist you in any way possible. Do not rely on the advice of friends and family, especially as it relates to immigration!

ISO; International Student Organization: The organization on campus made up of international students and others who wish to relate to persons from other cultures. (Click here to download the ISOConstitution and By-Laws)

ITIN; Individual Taxpayer Identification Number: The number issued to any student not eligible for a social security number. It is a government identification number used for tax purposes, and in securing a driver’s license, etc.
J-l Visa; Exchange Visitor’s Visa: Visa issued to a person under a visitor exchange program such as the Fulbright program; under EMU’s program, it is designed for students, scholars and professors coming to the U.S. for a temporary stay.

OPT; Optional Practical Training : The entitlement to work in your major field of study for up to one year, usually taken after you have graduated.

“Passport:”:../documents Identification document issued by your country of citizenship.

SEVIS;” Student and Exchange Visitor Information System:*":sevis.html The computerized reporting system developed and coordinated by the Immigration Service.

SS#; Social Security Number : The number which will be assigned to you by the U.S. government for tax purposes if you work in the United States.

SGA; Student Government Association: EMU’s student government organization which plans and implements many activities and programs around the campus community.

TOEFL; Test of English as a Foreign Language: The TOEFL is given to many international students to test their level of English fluency and their ability to study at the University Level. The general requirement is that a student must receive a score of at least 550 on the TOEFL in order to be admitted to the undergraduate level at EMU.

Visa: The stamp in your passport indicating the U.S.’s willingness to accept you into the country.