- Anchor Counseling Services – Learn more about mental illness and substance abuse by working with adults with
dual-diagnosis. The program focuses on life skills and job placement, so you will
have the chance to interact with clients one-on-one and become comfortable interacting
with people from a variety of backgrounds.
- YMCA – Programs include mentoring, counseling, and youth programs. You will have the chance
daily to interact with at-risk youth.
- Green Door – At one of the largest mental health agencies in the DC area, interns get to interact
with clients and learn about the operation of mental health institutions.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness – There are many opportunities at NAMI, including operating the Helpline for families affected by mental illness, providing
information on specific mental illnesses for the organization’s website, advocacy
or research on states’ budgets for mental health, and finding resources for people
with problems related to their mental health condition.
- Latin American Youth Center Promotores Program Students in this internship have had the chance to interact with high-risk youth and
shadow professional mentor/counselors as they interact with the youth, many of whom
are dealing with addiction and trouble with the law. Interns learn to write case notes
and help youth to find resources in the community.
Research and Associations
Social Services and Treatment