Initial contracts for summer conferences are issued around December/January and must be signed and returned with a $1,000 deposit within 30 days of receiving the contract. After receiving it, we will work with you to determine your meeting space, housing, food, recreational, and audio/visual needs.
After the preliminary planning, we will include these details in the “Facilities Contract.” After signing this contract, any changes or requests you make will require renegotiation, so it is important you review the Facilities Contract carefully. The Facilities Contract is due no less than two weeks prior to your arrival.
All conferences and events using the EMU campus must provide proof of liability insurance for the organization and all participants with limits of no less than $1,000,000 combined single limit for each person/occurrence for bodily injury and/or property damage. The policy should clearly state the dates of your conference and name EMU as additionally insured. The certificate of insurance should be forwarded to our office 30 days prior to your event.
Your conference or event must have a registrar who is responsible for assigning people to rooms. He or she must provide us with complete housing assignments no less than five business days before your arrival. If you like, we will assist your registrar by suggesting efficient registration procedures.
In advance of your event, we will provide your registrar with complete floor plans and the housing assignment spreadsheet. We’ll use the completed spreadsheet to prepare keys and assist with lost or missing keys during your stay.
There is a $25 charge for lost room keys, a $100 charge for lost sub-master keys, $200 charge for lost master keys and a $10 charge for lost access cards.
While we understand the need to appropriately direct your guests, we ask that you keep signage in and around campus to a minimum. Signs and posters placed on glass, painted, or papered walls should be affixed with painters tape or masking tape only—no clear tape, packaging tape, duct tape, or tacks. If you need painters or masking tape and/or signage assistance, please contact us.
Parking on campus
EMU is considered a “walking campus” and we discourage the use of motor vehicles to get between buildings during your event. Parking permits are not needed for any campus lots during the summer. Please observe all yellow curbs, posted parking signs, reserved spaces and handicap parking.
Upon request, we will engage special personnel or services for your event or direct you to a reliable source. Additional fees may apply.
We want to maintain a congenial relationship with you, our guest, so we are reluctant to post a list of rules. However, the distinctiveness that attracted you to EMU can be best maintained if we clearly state some policies:
- Possession or use of tobacco, alcohol, or firearms is not permitted on campus. These items may be confiscated and persons in possession of them may be asked to leave campus. Smoking violations will result in a $50 fine.
- No pets are permitted on campus.
- Damage to facilities or equipment will be documented and billed to your conference or event.
- Unmarried persons of the opposite sex may not room together.
- For the safety of all, skateboards and rollerblades are not permitted on campus.
- Persons under 16 must be in their rooms after midnight unless accompanied by an adult.
- Children and teenagers must be supervised at all times. We recommended no more than a 12:1 ratio.
- Check out time from all residence halls is 9 am unless other arrangements have been made in advance.