DEPARTMENT: CJP - Center for Justice & Peacebuilding
POSITION: Associate Professor
DEPARTMENT: Applied Social Sciences Dept
POSITION: Dept. Chair & Assoc. Professor
DEPARTMENT: MS in Nursing
POSITION: Associate Professor
LOCATION: Main Campus, Harrisonburg | RLN 228
PHONE: (540) 432-4270
Rhodes is associate professor of peacebuilding and conflict studies. She chairs the department of Applied Social Sciences and coordinates the Peacebuilding and Development undergraduate major. She teaches graduate and undergraduate peacebuilding courses including conflict analysis, peacebuilding theory and practice and the integration of these. She anchors the core MA in conflict transformation course, Foundations for Justice and Peacebuilding I.
She has taught and held various administrative positions at Eastern Mennonite University since 1988. She has led undergraduate cross cultural study seminars to Ireland and Northern Ireland, Russia, South Korea and the Navajo Nation. She served as Administrative Director of the Summer Peacebuilding Institute (1996-1999).
Rhodes holds a Ph.D. from George Mason University’s Institute for Conflict Analysis and Resolution. Her dissertation research compared conflict transformation and conflict resolution definitions and whether there are differences in practice between these two schools of thought. Additional research and teaching interests include evaluation and assessment of personal competencies in conflict transformation/resolution practice; conflict analysis, integration of conceptual and practical knowledge in peacebuilding; peacebuilding pedagogy, and cross-cultural education.
Ph.D. George Mason University, 2009
M.S. George Mason University, 1997
B.A. Eastern Mennonite University, 1988
- [Book Review] The Jesus Factor in Justice and Peacemaking by C. Norman Kraus. Mennonite Quarterly Review, 89.4. Goshen, IN. 2015.
- Envisioning the Future: Interviews with Three STAR Practitioners. Strategies for Trauma Awareness and Resilience Newsletter. Eastern Mennonite University, May, 2014.
- Memorial Day Reflection, and Drawing Trees. In Landis, Susan Mark, Lisa Amstutz, Cindy Snider, Judith Kulp, eds. Seasoned with Peace: Spring. Peacemeal Press, 2011.
- Avoiding Conflict. In Landis, Susan Mark, Lisa Amstutz, Cindy Snider, eds. Seasoned with Peace: Winter. Peacemeal Press, 2010.
- Mennonites. The Oxford International Encyclopedia of Peace. Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Drawing Trees. PeaceSigns. Orrville, OH: Peace and Justice Support Network of MCUSA, June 16, 2009. Full Text
- Conflict Resolution and Conflict Transformation Practice: Is There a Difference?. Unpublished Dissertation. Fairfax, VA: George Mason University, December 5, 2008. Full text
- Exploring Peace and Conflict. In Garber, Julie, B. Welling Hall, Joseph Liechty, Timothy McElwee, eds. Peace, Justice, and Security Studies: A Curriculum Guide. Boulder, Colo.: Lynne Reinner Publishers. August 2008.
Scholarly Presentations and Abstracts
- Measuring Up: Professional Development and Self-Awareness with Dr. Mara Schoeny. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference. Dallas, TX. October, 2017. Accepted.
- Learning from Each Other: Undergraduate Programs in Peace and Conflict
Studies Roundtable. Peace and Justice Studies Association Conference. James Madison University, et al, Harrisonburg, VA. October 2015.
- Bridging Cultures and Conflict: Constructive approaches in the intercultural workplace. Administrative Professionals Day Keynote Address. Blue Ridge Community College, April 25, 2015.
- Bridging Cultures: Culture and Conflict. Staff In-service Address. Blue Ridge Community College, October 7, 2014.
- Bridging Professional Worlds; Interdisciplinary Conflict Resolution Education with Dr. Rachel Monaco-Wilcox, Mount Mary University. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, Minneapolis, MN, October 9-12, 2013.
- Peace Work: How do colleges and university conflict resolution and peace studies programs contribute? with Dr. Mara Schoeny, George Mason University, et al. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, Minneapolis, MN, October 9-12, 2013.
- Are They Getting It? Creating an Assessment Plan for Skills Learning in Conflict Resolution Training and Education, with Dr. Mara Schoeny, George Mason University. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA, September 13-15, 2012.
- Reaching Across the Fence: Creating Opportunities to Learn with and From Others, with Dr. Mara Schoeny and Dr. Alma Jadallah, George Mason University, and Dr. Frank Dukes, University of Virginia. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA, September 13-15, 2012.
- Comparing Conflict Resolution and Conflict Transformation Practice: Competing professional identities or complementary practices? International Studies Association Annual Conference, San Diego, CA, March 30-April 3, 2012.
- Did they get it? Assessing practice-based learning in conflict resolution training and education with Dr. Mara Schoeny, George Mason University. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, San Diego, CA, October 13-15, 2011.
- Strategies for Trauma Awareness and Resilience 2-day Preconference Workshop 4th International Summit on Conflict Resolution Education. Building Infrastructures for Change: Innovations in Conflict Resolution Education (CRE). June 8-13, 2011. Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
- Attachment Theory and Peacebuilding. Conversations on Attachment: Integrating the Science of Love and Spirituality Conference. Harrisonburg, VA. March 31-April 2, 2011.