Print Header Logo

Peace Studies at EMU

Have Questions?

EMU now offers an accelerated masters in conflict transformation for peacebuilding and development undergrads

Already have your bachelor’s degree, and interested in a master’s degree? Contact the Center for Justice and Peacebuilding for further information.

More details are available from Gloria Rhodes, peacebuilding and development program coordinator, at 540-432-4270 or

Accelerated MA in Conflict Transformation

BA in peacebuilding and development to MA in conflict transformation

A new program through EMU’s Center for Justice and Peacebuilding and department of applied social sciences is designed to give students both a bachelor’s and master’s degree in conflict transformation through a five-year curriculum.

The accelerated peacebuilding and development program opened in the fall of 2013. Students can apply to the graduate program during their third year of undergraduate studies. If admission is granted, they will continue with the accelerated curriculum.

The accelerated program is ideal for nontraditional students who have previous experience in the field but have not completed an undergraduate degree.

Students must have both a minimum GPA of 3.25 and a faculty recommendation in order to apply. Those interested should request more info as soon as possible in order to be assigned an advisor to help plan their course of study.

Accelerated MA in conflict transformation curriculum

The undergraduate curriculum for the BA/MA accelerated program is the same as the standard peacebuilding and development curriculum, with the following change:

Students are required to take all three of the following three-credit core practice/skills courses (rather than choosing two out of three):

  • PXD 261 Community and conflict analysis techniques
  • PXD 311 Mediation and conflict transformation
  • PXD 321 Group dynamics and facilitation

Once a candidate is accepted into the graduate program, his or her fourth year will include classes at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Attendance at the Summer Peacebuilding Institute between the fourth and fifth years will be required, and the student will conclude master’s degree requirements in the final (fifth) year.

Want more info? Contact us!

Already have your bachelor’s degree, and interested in a master’s degree? Contact the Center for Justice and Peacebuilding for further information.

Interested students can also contact the undergraduate program director, Gloria Rhodes, for details about the bachelor’s degree.