Office Phone: (540) 432-4496
Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: MS 122
Daryl Byler in the news:
J. Daryl Byler graduated from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1988 and has 25 years of diverse peacebuilding experience.
- From 1988 to 1994 he served as a staff attorney with East Mississippi Legal Services, focusing on consumer, public benefits, housing and election law cases. During this same period he was pastor of Jubilee Mennonite Church in Meridian, Miss.
- From 1994 until 2007, Byler served as director of Mennonite Central Committee’s Washington Office, advocating on issues related to U.S. militarism and Middle East policy.
- From 2007 until 2013, he lived in Amman, Jordan, serving as a regional representative for Mennonite Central Committee. In this capacity he worked with local NGO partners in Iran, Iraq, Jordan and Israel-Palestine on a variety of humanitarian assistance, development and peacebuilding projects.
Byler was a member of Mennonite Church USA Executive Board from 2003-2007 and served as an Advisory Committee for the Academy of Educational Development’s New Voices program for many years.
Byler has been married to Cynthia Lehman Byler since 1981. They have three adult children and one granddaughter.
- University of Virginia School of Law, Juris Doctor (1988)
- Eastern Mennonite University, M.A. (1985)
- Eastern Mennonite College, B.S. in Business Administration and Bible (1979)
- Bound by Hospitality, PBS Religion & Ethics Newsweekly, Mar. 8, 2013
- Welcoming the Stranger: What Jordan’s Bedouin Can Teach Us, Sojourners Magazine, God’s Politics Blog, Aug. 16, 2012
- Gaza: A War Without Winners, Sojourners Magazine, God’s Politics Blog, Jan. 27, 2009
- Iran Notebook, PBS Religion & Ethics Newsweekly, Mar. 9, 2007
- At Peace and Unafraid, Herald Press, Nov. 11, 2005, two chapters written with Dr. Lisa Schirch
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Mississippi Bar Association