Office Phone: (540) 432-4128
Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: UC 227
Office Hours: By Appointment
Dir. Student Accountability
Dir. Restorative Justice
Jonathan Swartz obtained his undergraduate degree in Psychology from Bethel College (Mishawaka, IN), a Masters of Divinity (M.Div) degree from Eastern Mennonite Seminary (2014) and a Masters in Conflict Transformation (MACT) degree from the Center for Justice and Peacebuilding at Eastern Mennonite University (2014). During seminary and graduate school studies at EMU, Jonathan served as a Campus Ministries Intern and as Restorative Justice Facilitator/Assistant Resident Director in Residence Life. Before moving to Harrisonburg in 2011, Jonathan spent 10 years in the construction industry, primarily building new homes in Northern Indiana.
Since 2014, Jonathan has served as EMU’s Restorative Justice Coordinator with primary focus on student support and accountability. In 2014 he spent a year researching the student conduct response system at EMU, which resulted in the writing of the report: Student Conduct and Restorative Justice Assessment. He has also served as the Assistant Director of University Accord since fall 2015. In addition, Jonathan has served as an adjunct professor in the Bible and Religion Department at EMU, and has also guest lectured/presented in graduate and undergraduate courses in Restorative Justice.
Jonathan’s research and reading interests include theology and race/whiteness, restorative justice practice and theory – including/especially RJ and race, healing and reconciliation, and contemporary justice/peace movements.
- B.S. Psychology – Bethel College (Mishawaka, IN)
- Masters of Divinity – Eastern Mennonite Seminary (Harrisonburg, VA)
- Masters in Conflict Transformation – Center for Justice and Peacebuilding at EMU (Harrisonburg, VA)
- Student Conduct and Restorative Justice Assessment: Eastern Mennonite University
- Restorative Justice: 25 Years and a Worldwide Movement – presented at MCUSA Convention in Kansas City, MO – July 2015
- Concrete, Steel, and Paint Facilitation Team – presented documentary and discussion at NACRJ Conference in Toledo, OH, June 2013; Summer Peacebuilding Institute at EMU, summer 2013; Restorative Justice class at EMU, 2013; Virginia Mediation Network fall Training, 2013.
Professional Conferences Attended
- National Association of Community and Restorative Justice NACRJ
Toledo, OH – 2013
Ft. Lauderdale, FL – 2015
- RJ in Motion
Eastern Mennonite University – 2016
- ABP 201 D – Ethics in the Way of Jesus Fall 2014, Fall 2016, Spring 2017