Office Phone: (540) 432-4270
Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: RLN 228
Dept. Chair & Assoc. Professor
Rhodes is associate professor of peacebuilding and conflict studies. She chairs the department of Applied Social Sciences and coordinates the Peacebuilding and Development undergraduate major. She teaches graduate and undergraduate peacebuilding courses including conflict analysis, peacebuilding theory and practice and the integration of these. She anchors the core MA in conflict transformation course, Foundations for Peacebuilding I.
She has taught and held various administrative positions at Eastern Mennonite University since 1988. She has led undergraduate cross cultural study seminars to Ireland and Northern Ireland, Russia, and South Korea. She has also served as Administrative Director of the Summer Peacebuilding Institute.
Rhodes holds a Ph.D. from George Mason University’s Institute for Conflict Analysis and Resolution. Her dissertation research compared conflict transformation and conflict resolution definitions and whether there are differences in practice between these two schools of thought. Additional research and teaching interests include evaluation and assessment in conflict transformation/resolution practice; conflict analysis, integration of conceptual and practical knowledge in peacebuilding; peacebuilding pedagogy, and cross-cultural education.
Ph.D. George Mason University, 2009
M.S. George Mason University, 1997
B.A. Eastern Mennonite University, 1988
- [Book Review] The Jesus Factor in Justice and Peacemaking by C. Norman Kraus. Mennonite Quarterly Review, 89.4. Goshen, IN. 2015.
- Envisioning the Future: Interviews with Three STAR Practitioners. Strategies for Trauma Awareness and Resilience Newsletter. Eastern Mennonite University, May, 2014.
- Memorial Day Reflection, and Drawing Trees. In Landis, Susan Mark, Lisa Amstutz, Cindy Snider, Judith Kulp, eds. Seasoned with Peace: Spring. Peacemeal Press, 2011.
- Avoiding Conflict. In Landis, Susan Mark, Lisa Amstutz, Cindy Snider, eds. Seasoned with Peace: Winter. Peacemeal Press, 2010.
- Mennonites. The Oxford International Encyclopedia of Peace. Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Drawing Trees. PeaceSigns. Orrville, OH: Peace and Justice Support Network of MCUSA, June 16, 2009. Full Text
- Conflict Resolution and Conflict Transformation Practice: Is There a Difference?. Unpublished Dissertation. Fairfax, VA: George Mason University, December 5, 2008. Full text
- Exploring Peace and Conflict. In Garber, Julie, B. Welling Hall, Joseph Liechty, Timothy McElwee, eds. Peace, Justice, and Security Studies: A Curriculum Guide. Boulder, Colo.: Lynne Reinner Publishers. August 2008.
Scholarly Presentations and Abstracts
- Learning from Each Other: Undergraduate Programs in Peace and Conflict
Studies Roundtable. Peace and Justice Studies Association Conference. James Madison University, et al, Harrisonburg, VA. October 2015.
- Bridging Cultures and Conflict: Constructive approaches in the intercultural workplace. Administrative Professionals Day Keynote Address. Blue Ridge Community College, April 25, 2015.
- Bridging Cultures: Culture and Conflict. Staff In-service Address. Blue Ridge Community College, October 7, 2014.
- Bridging Professional Worlds; Interdisciplinary Conflict Resolution Education with Dr. Rachel Monaco-Wilcox, Mount Mary University. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, Minneapolis, MN, October 9-12, 2013.
- Peace Work: How do colleges and university conflict resolution and peace studies programs contribute? with Dr. Mara Schoeny, George Mason University, et al. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, Minneapolis, MN, October 9-12, 2013.
- Are They Getting It? Creating an Assessment Plan for Skills Learning in Conflict Resolution Training and Education, with Dr. Mara Schoeny, George Mason University. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA, September 13-15, 2012.
- Reaching Across the Fence: Creating Opportunities to Learn with and From Others, with Dr. Mara Schoeny and Dr. Alma Jadallah, George Mason University, and Dr. Frank Dukes, University of Virginia. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA, September 13-15, 2012.
- Comparing Conflict Resolution and Conflict Transformation Practice: Competing professional identities or complementary practices? International Studies Association Annual Conference, San Diego, CA, March 30-April 3, 2012.
- Did they get it? Assessing practice-based learning in conflict resolution training and education with Dr. Mara Schoeny, George Mason University. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, San Diego, CA, October 13-15, 2011.
- Strategies for Trauma Awareness and Resilience 2-day Preconference Workshop 4th International Summit on Conflict Resolution Education. Building Infrastructures for Change: Innovations in Conflict Resolution Education (CRE). June 8-13, 2011. Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
- Attachment Theory and Peacebuilding. Conversations on Attachment: Integrating the Science of Love and Spirituality Conference. Harrisonburg, VA. March 31-April 2, 2011.
*Presenter/Facilitator, Guest speaker, Personal Formation class, and Foundations class, Eastern Mennonite Seminary, The Enneagram for Personal and Relational Growth, February and March, 2017.
- Presenter/Facilitator, January 2017, Guatemala/Colombia Cross Cultural Semester Orientation, Eastern Mennonite University, The Enneagram, Conflict and Group Dynamics.
- Presenter/Facilitator, Orientation for Community Assistants, Eastern Mennonite University, The Enneagram, Conflict and Leadership, October 31, 2016.
- Presenter/Facilitator, LEAD lunch presenter, Eastern Mennonite University, The Enneagram, Conflict and Leadership, October, 2016.
- Facilitator/Presenter, Day-long workshop, Sanctuary Mennonite Church, The Enneagram for Personal Growth, August 20, 2016.
- Presenter/Facilitator, Guest speaker, Personal Formation class, and Foundations class, Eastern Mennonite Seminary, The Enneagram for Personal Growth, January 21, 2016, and March 30, 2016.
- Co-Trainer, with Kathy Evans, Strategies for Trauma Awareness and Resilience 2-day Pre-conference training. International Conflict Resolution in Education Summit. Human Rights and Conflict Resolution: Tensions and Opportunities. June 17 – 22, 2015.
- Lead Trainer, with Kathy Evans, Strategies for Trauma Awareness and Resilience 2-day Pre-conference training. International Conflict Resolution in Education Summit. Developing & Implementing Culturally Inclusive Conflict Resolution Education Policies & Practices in K-12 & H.E. Fairfax, Virginia. June 11 – 16, 2014.
- Trainer, Practice: Skills for Peacebuilding, Summer Peacebuilding Institute 7-day intensive training, Women’s Peacebuilding Leadership Program, Eastern Mennonite University, June 6-14, 2013.
- Trainer, Practice: Skills for Peacebuilding, Summer Peacebuilding Institute 7-day intensive training, Eastern Mennonite University, May 10-18 2012.
- Co-Trainer, Conflict Transformation for civil society, with Fadi el Hajjar, Transformative & Empowering Solutions, Beirut Lebanon, September 23-29, 2011.
Exhibits, Performances and Productions
- Instructor for students featured in Peace-ing It Together: Women From South Pacific, East Africa ‘Reflect And Share’ At EMU, article in the Daily News Recordby Emily Sharrer.
- Featured in St. Patrick’s Day article, Daily News Record Harrisonburg, VA March 17, 2012.
- Author. Where is that other what? Poem. Phoenix Literary Journal. Eastern Mennonite University, 2012.
- Author. We gather here to honor a people and a place. Hymn text, with music by Bradley Lehman. Commissioned for the 50th anniversary celebration of Waterford Mennonite Church, Goshen, Indiana, 2009.
Church, Community and Professional Service
- Participant/Presenter, Peace Professor Delegation, Mennonite Central Committee, Bogota and Cali, Colombia, August 8-15, 2016.
- Peer Reviewer, Journal of Peacebuilding & Development, March 2016.
- Peer Reviewer for book manuscript. Routledge publishing, August, 2015.
- Panelist. Alumni in the Academy. School for Conflict Analysis and Resolution, George Mason University, Arlington, VA. April 20th, 2013(invited).
- Consultant on curriculum for training materials. RESOLVE. Washington, DC. November 1, 2012 (invited).
- Peer Reviewer, Candidate for Tenure and Promotion, Goucher College, Fall 2012.
- Peer Reviewer, International Studies Review, Spring 2012.
- Volunteer (summer), Patchwork Pantry, food distribution center, Community Mennonite Church, 1999-present.
- Member, Community Mennonite Church, 1989-present.
Honors, Awards and Grants
- Sabbatical, Eastern Mennonite University, Spring 2014.
- Release Time Award, Eastern Mennonite University, Fall 2010.
- Quality Service Award, Eastern Mennonite University, 3rd quarter, 2009-10.
- International Studies Association
- Association for Conflict Resolution
- Peace and Justice Studies Association
- American Association of University Women
- Member, Undergraduate Council, representing Department of Applied Social Sciences 2009-present
- Department Chair and Convener, Applied Social Sciences Bi-weekly Department Meeting 2002-present
- Member, Center for Justice and Peacebuilding MA in Conflict Transformation, Academic Committee 2010-present
- Member, C. Henry Smith Oratorical Contest Planning Committee 2004-present
- Member, Restorative Justice Reference Group (2014-15)