The practicum is a time of learning for students nearing the completion of their masters degree. A practicum can take a variety of forms and be done in settings new or familiar to students.
Possible Placement Organizations
“My practicum was the missing link between theory and practice. It was a ‘win-win’ situation for both myself and the organization I worked with. It allowed real world situations and constraints to inform my theories, principles and practices, while at the same time allowed me to fulfill a vital role in the organization I worked with and bring fresh insights into difficult situations.”
—Craig Spaulding (MA, 2005)
Students have completed their practicums in a variety of locations, locally and globally, and have served many different organizations. The list below includes a few examples of recent practicum sites.
- UNICEF, New York City
- United Nations Development Program, New York City
- Tanenbaum Center, New York City
- Pact Kenya, Nairobi
- Search for Common Ground, Washington, D.C.
- World Vision, Peacebuilding & Reconciliation Program, Washington, D.C.
- Rural Southern Voices for Peace, Burnsville, NC
- Lancaster Interchurch Peace Witness, Lancaster, PA
- Fairfield Center, Harrisonburg, VA
- New Bridges Immigration Center, Harrisonburg, VA
- Eastern Mennonite University, University Accord Program, Harrisonburg, VA
- James Madison University, Office of Judicial Affairs, Harrisonburg, VA
Packet & Forms
“Through his effective communication, cultural sensitivity, process modeling, and teaching skills, Kamal introduced restorative justice circles to one of the most challenging settings in the juvenile justice system. He restored the circle, native to us all, to the lives of youth who can reclaim its power and, with us, restore justice in our communities.”
—Tim Weider, of the Finger Lakes Restorative Justice Center, commenting on Kamal Tipu, Pakistan (MA, 2004)
The following information can be downloaded to aid in preparing for the student practicum experience. You may choose to download the entire practicum packet in PDF form to reference (it is complete with the forms needed but not in a user-friendly format) or you may download the forms individually and fill them out electronically to submit to your practicum advisor.