If you are applying for a passport for the first time, you will need to apply in person. The U.S Dept. of State has a Passport Acceptance Facility Search Page. Be prepared to provide the following information and documents:
- Complete the DS-11 form available on site.
- Present proof of U.S. citizenship. In many cases, this is a birth certificate.
- Present proof of idenity. A driver’s license is acceptable.
- Provide two identical color passport pictures. These are available on campus through Learning Resources (ground floor of Hartzler Library).
- Pay the appropriate cost. For adults, this is a total of $135.
See the Dept. of State’s Passport Home page for passport application forms and more detailed directions. For cross-cultural trips where visas are required, this process needs to begin earlier. The cost of a passport and other related expenses (photos, birth certificate, etc.) are the responsibility of the student.
Already have a passport? Make sure your passport will be valid beyond the duration of your trip. If you need to renew, you will need to send the following items to National Passport Processing:
- your most recent passport
- a completed DS-82 Application form
- two new identical passport photos
- $110 processing fee
For the form and more complete directions, visit the U.S. Department of State’s page on passport renewal