Office Phone: (540) 432-4263
Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: RLN 301
Office Hours: by appointment
Carmen Schrock-Hurst in the news:
Carmen is an ordained Mennonite minister in VA Mennonite Conference and has served as a Mennonite pastor for over twelve years, in Harrisonburg, VA; Richmond, VA; and Pittsburgh, PA. She and her husband Luke also lived and worked for three years in Honduras (1985-1988) and three years in the Philippines (2002-2005) with Mennonite Central Committee. While in the Philippines she served as assistant chaplain for the students and faculty at Faith Academy, the largest school for children of missionary families in the world. She and Luke are the grateful parents of Grace (EMU grad of 2008), Lucas ( EMU grad 2010) and Caleb (a freshman at Hesston College in Kansas). They are also delighted grandparents of their first grandchild, Jeremi, who lives in Indonesia with his parents Grace and Yugo.
Carmen received a M.A. in Theology with a concentration in Christian Spirituality from Associated Mennonite Biblical Seminaries in 1996 and a BA in social work from EMU in 1981.
From 2006 to 2011 Carmen directed the volunteer program of the local hospice, where she learned about the spirituality of end-of-life issues, and of grief and loss. She has also worked for Sojourners magazine, directed a homeless shelter, led local and international retreats, served on the board of Pittsburgh’s PULSE program (a young adult service and learning opportunity) and on the board of Roberta Webb Child Care Center in Harrisonburg.
At EMU Carmen teaches courses in Spiritual Formation, Congregational Ministry, Church Leadership, and Youth Ministry as well as directs the Ministry Inquiry Program. She also offers spiritual direction to a limited number of students and community members. A gifted preacher and public speaker Carmen has shared in local chapel services, congregations and church assemblies.
Carmen enjoys finding God in the ordinary miracles of our every day lives, sharing the gift of hospitality, reading, listening to her sons play music, Skyping with her daughter, son-in-law and grandson in Indonesia, international travel, and walking on the beach.
- Association of Youth Ministry Educators
- Spiritual Directors International
- “Shaping Treasures in Cracked Pots” Ninth Annual Youth Workers and Student Leaders Conference, Messiah College, April 5, 2014
- “Trauma, Hope and Healing,” VA Conference Pastor’s Retreat, Feb 28-March 2, 2014
- “All You Need is Love,” Mennonite Women in Ministry Conference, February 20-22, 2014, Leesburg, VA
- “Protecting God’s Children” (child sexual abuse prevention training), VIRTUS, EMU, Feb 15, 2014
- “Fostering Everyday Everywhere Faith,” VA Mennonite Conference Youth Workers retreat, January 24-26, 2014
- “Discerning Together, Shaping the Future,” School for Leadership Training, Eastern Mennonite Seminary, January 20-22, 2014
- “Strengthening Mennonite Colleges as Faith Mentoring Environments,” October 14-15, 2013, Bethel College, Kansas
- Mennonite Church General Assembly, Phoenix, Arizona, July 2013
- Virginia Mennonite Conference Annual Assembly, Harrisonburg, VA, July 2013