Office Phone: (540) 432-4263
Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: RLN 301
Office Hours: by appointment
Carmen is an ordained Mennonite minister in VA Mennonite Conference and has served as a Mennonite pastor for over twelve years, in Harrisonburg, VA; Richmond, VA; and Pittsburgh, PA. She and her husband Luke also lived and worked for three years in Honduras (1985-1988) and three years in the Philippines (2002-2005) with Mennonite Central Committee. While in the Philippines she served as assistant chaplain for the students and faculty at Faith Academy, the largest school for children of missionary families in the world. She and Luke are the grateful parents of Grace (EMU grad of 2008), Lucas (EMU grad 2010) and Caleb (EMU grad 2018). They are also delighted grandparents of Jeremi and Simeon who live in Indonesia with their parents Grace and Yugo.
Carmen received a M.A. in Theology with a concentration in Christian Spirituality from Associated Mennonite Biblical Seminaries in 1996 and a B.A. in social work from EMU in 1981.
Carmen has been teaching at EMU since the fall of 2011. Prior to that she directed the volunteer program of the local hospice, where she learned about the spirituality of end-of-life issues, and of grief and loss. In addition to being a pastor Carmen has worked for Sojourners magazine, directed a homeless shelter, led local and international retreats, served on the board of Pittsburgh’s PULSE program (a young adult service and learning opportunity) and on the board of Roberta Webb Child Care Center in Harrisonburg.
At EMU Carmen teaches courses in Spiritual Formation, Congregational Ministry, Church Leadership, and Youth Ministry as well as directs the Ministry Inquiry Program. A gifted preacher and public speaker Carmen has shared in local chapel services, congregations and church assemblies.
Carmen enjoys finding God in the ordinary miracles of our every day lives, sharing the gift of hospitality, reading, listening to her sons play music, Skyping with her daughter, son-in-law and grandsons in Indonesia, international travel, and walking on the beach.
- Masters of Arts in Theology, concentration Spiritual Formation, Associated Mennonite Biblical Seminaries, Elkhart, IN. Spring 1986.
- Bachelor of Arts, Social Work, Eastern Mennonite College, Harrisonburg, VA. Spring 1981.
- Association of Youth Ministry Educators
- Spiritual Directors International
Professional Conferences Attended
- “Oasis” School for Leadership Training, Eastern Mennonite Seminary, January 2016.
- “The Changing Face of Youth Ministry,” VA Mennonite Conference Youth Worker’s Retreat, Williamsburg Christian Retreat Center, January 23-25, 2015.
- “Learning From the Early Church,” VA Mennonite Conference Ministry Retreat, Williamsburg Christian Retreat Center, February 27-March 1, 2015.
- “A Church For All Generations,” Eastern Mennonite Seminary School for Leadership Training, January 2015.
- “Shaping Treasures in Cracked Pots” Ninth Annual Youth Workers and Student Leaders Conference, Messiah College, April 5, 2014
- “Trauma, Hope and Healing,” VA Conference Pastor’s Retreat, Feb 28-March 2, 2014
- “All You Need is Love,” Mennonite Women in Ministry Conference, February 20-22, 2014, Leesburg, VA
- “Protecting God’s Children” (child sexual abuse prevention training), VIRTUS, EMU, February 15, 2014
- “Fostering Everyday Everywhere Faith,” VA Mennonite Conference Youth Workers retreat, January 24-26, 2014
New Courses Taught
- 2014-2015: Covenant and Community (Introduction to the Bible)
- 2013-2014: Teaching, Ministry and Healthy Sexuality
- 2012-2013: Youth Ministry in the Congregation
- 2011-2012: Introduction to Youth Ministry, Church Leadership, Spiritual Formation, The Congregation and Its Ministries
- Campus Ministry Council 2014-present