Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: n/a
David Boshart has been a Mennonite pastor for over 27 years, primarily in rural settings. In 2010 he was appointed Executive Conference Minister for Central Plains Mennonite Conference. David serves the church as a member of the Executive Board of Mennonite Church USA. David holds a Ph.D. in Leadership Studies from Andrews University with an emphasis on missional theology. He is the author of Becoming Missional: Denominations and New Church Development in Complex Social Contexts (Wipf and Stock) as well as Sex and Faith, a Bible Study guide on male sexuality for the Closer than a Brother Series (Faith and Life Press).
David is married to Shana, who works for Central Plains Mennonite Conference as Conference Minister for Christian Formation. They have three adult sons, Tony (married to Tanna and parents of Marryn, Brynna, andKinsley), Aaron, and Corben.
- 2009. PhD in Leadership Studies, Andrews University, Berrien Springs, MI,
Dissertation: Planting Missional Mennonite Churches in Complex Social
Contexts as the Denomination Undergoes a Paradigm Shift in
Ecclesiology: A Multiple Case Study
- 1987. MAR in New Testament Theology, Eastern Mennonite Seminary,
- 1986. BA in Biblical Studies and Theology, Eastern Mennonite College,
- 1995. Clinical Pastoral Education; Basic Unit
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
- 1995. Conflict Mediation Training; 50 hours
Iowa Mediation Service
- “Vital Witness on the Rural Frontier: Six Handles for Contextual Theology.” Vision: A Journal for Church and Theology. Elkhart, IN: Institute of Mennonite Studies. Spring, 2013, 46-54.
- “Revisioning Mission in PostChristendom: Story, Hospitality and New Humanity.” The Journal of Applied Christian Leadership. Berrien Springs, MI: Christian Leadership Center, Andrews University. 4(2), 16-31
- Becoming Missional: Denominations and New Congregations in Complex Social Contexts. Eugene: Wipf and Stock, 2010.
- “Renarrating the Gospel of Sex: A Sermon on 2 Corinthians 5:16-21.” Vision: A Journal for Church and Theology. Elkhart, IN: Institute of Mennonite Studies. 9(2), 6-12.
- “30 Good Seconds on Saturday.” The Mennonite. Scottdale, PA: The Mennonite, Inc., August 18, 2009.
- “Sent for the sake of the world." The Mennonite. Scottdale, PA: The Mennonite, Inc. August 19, 2008.
- “Thriving by Our Wits.” The Mennonite. Scottdale, PA: The Mennonite, Inc.
July 5, 2005.
- “Creating a Place of Safety.” Fanning the Flame: Notes from Pastors to Pastors. Goshen, IN: Mennonite Mutual Aid Association, 2004.
- “The Cosmic Oratorio.” The Mennonite. Scottdale, PA: The Mennonite, Inc. December 21, 2004.
- “Arrested transformation.” The Mennonite. Scottdale, PA: The Mennonite, Inc. March 2, 2004.
- Sex and Faith: Celebrating God’s Gifts. Closer than a Brother Series. Scottdale, PA: Faith and Life Resources. 2003.
- “Congregations at Variance: A Missional Approach.” Policy document presented to and published by the Central Plains Mennonite Conference, 2002.
- 2010- Present. Executive Conference Minister, Central Plains Mennonite Conference.
- 1996-2010. Pastor, West Union Mennonite Church, Parnell, IA. 1996-2010
- 1989-1996. Pastor. Pleasant View Mennonite Church, Mt. Pleasant, IA.
- 1986-1989. Pastoral Team Member, Community Mennonite Church, Harrisonburg, VA.
- 2007-Present. Mennonite Church USA Executive Board Member.
- 2003-Present. Trainer for Life Innovations, Prepare/Enrich Marriage CounselingI
- 2003-2006. Chair of the Pastoral Leadership Committee, Central Plains Mennonite Conference.
- 2003-2005. President of the Board of Trustees. Associated Mennonite Biblical
Seminary, 2003-2005. Member of the board, 1999-2007.
2012 Alumni Association Distinguished Service Award, Eastern Mennonite University
1989 Ordained to Pastoral Ministry
Eastern Mennonite Seminary:
- Church and Contextual Witness
- Congregational Leadership and Administration
- Mennonite Faith and Polity
- Philosophical Foundations in Leadership
Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary
- Mennonite Faith and Polity, Short Course