Office Phone: (540) 432-4154
Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: CC 206E
Chris Gingrich in the news:
Dr. Gingrich specializes in development and international economics. His research activities cover a variety of topics, including the fair trade coffee market, mosquito net delivery in Tanzania, microfinance programs in Nepal, and financial crises in Southeast Asia. He has worked on various assignments with Mennonite Economic Development Associates and Mennonite Central Committee.
A professor at EMU since 1995, he teaches in both the Department of Business and Economics and the Master of Business Administration program.
B.S. (agricultural economics), University of Illinois, 1985
M.S. (agricultural economics), University of Illinois, 1987
Ph.D. (economics), Iowa State University, 1995
- Gingrich, C.D., K. Hanson, V. Rweyendela, and T. Piper (2013) “Does Free Distribution of Mosquito Nets Affect Subsidized Net Sales? Evidence from a Nationwide Campaign in Tanzania,” The Journal of International Development.
- Gingrich, C.D. and E.J. King (2012) “Does Fair Trade Fulfill the Claims of its Proponents? Measuring the Global Impact of Fair Trade on Participating Coffee Farmers,” Journal of Cooperatives 26:17-39.
- Gingrich, C.D., K. Hanson, T. Marchant, J. Mulligan, and H. Mponda (2011) “Price Subsidies and the Market for Mosquito Nets in Developing Countries: A Study of Tanzania’s Discount Voucher Scheme,” Social Science and Medicine 73(1):160-168.
- Gingrich, C.D., K. Hanson, T. Marchant, J. Mulligan, and H. Mponda (2011) “Household Demand for Insecticide Treated Bednets in Tanzania and Policy Options for Increasing Uptake,” Health Policy and Planning 26 (2):133-141.
- Gingrich, C.D. and J.D. Garber (2010) “Trade Liberalization’s Impact on Agriculture in Low Income Countries: A Comparison of El Salvador and Costa Rica,” Journal of Developing Areas 43(2):1-17.
- Dulal, H., C. Gingrich, and R. Stough (2008) “Do Microfinance Programmes Really Serve the Poor? Evidence from Rural Southeast Nepal,” Journal of South Asian Development 3(2): 253-68.
- Gingrich, C.D. (2004) “Community-Based Savings and Credit Cooperatives in Nepal: A Sustainable Means for Microfinance Delivery?” Journal of Microfinance 6(1): 21-39 .
- Gingrich, C.D. and P.W. Gallagher (2002) “Health Production and Heteroscedasticity in Low-Income Households in Lima, Peru,” in Behavior of Household Investment in Health: The Case of Peru, R. Cortez, ed., Lima: Universidad del Pacifico Press.
- Gingrich, C.D., C.D. Horst, and C.O. Umidha (2001) “Foreign Exchange, Food Security, and Financial Crises in Indonesia and the Philippines,” ASEAN Economic Bulletin 18(3): 305-19.
- “Measuring the Impact of Subsidized Bednets in Tanzania,” presented at the Fifth Multilateral Initiative on Malaria (MIM) Pan-African Malaria Conference, 6 November 2009, Nairobi, Kenya.
- “Household Demand Preferences for Insecticide Treated Nets in Tanzania,” paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Public Health Association, October 2009, San Diego, California.
- “Global Economic Trends,” presented at the Mennonite Economic Development Associates Annual Review and Plan of Operation, March 5, 2012, Waterloo, Ontario.
- “U.S. Economic Forecast and Commentary,” Presented at Mennonite Economic Development Associates Annual Convention, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, Nov. 4, 2011
- “Understanding the New World Economy: Hearing God’s Call for Justice,” retreat led for the Peace and Social Concerns Committee, Eastern District Conference, General Conference Mennonite Church and Franconia Mennonite Conference, February 9-11, 2001, Canadensis, Pennsylvania.
- Reviewed manuscripts for BMC Public Health, Journal of South Asian Development, World Development, Agriculture and Human Values, Faith and Economics, Journal of Community Medicine and Health Education, Research and Reports in Tropical Medicine, and International Third World Studies Journal and Review.
- Conducted final evaluation of United Mission to Nepal’s Partnership Program (May 2005).
- Reviewed strategic plan of Mennonite Central Committee’s agriculture program in Bangladesh (March 2003).
- Advisor, Partnership Program, United Mission to Nepal, Kathmandu, Nepal (August 2001 to June 2003).
- Agricultural Economist, Mennonite Central Committee, Haiti
(1987 to 1990).
- American Economics Association
- elected member, Faculty Status Committee (Fall 2012 – present)
- member, Adult Degree Completion Program Admissions Committee (Fall 2012 – present)