Office Phone: (540) 432-4445
Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: SH 202
“To walk by faith and to strive for the good in our families, students, church, community and beyond.”
Elroy Miller grew up in a large Mennonite family on a dairy farm in Goshen, Ind. After voluntary service in Costa Rica in 1968-70, he studied social work and sociology in college and graduate school. He practiced clinical social work in family service/mental health agencies and taught at Malone College and Eastern Mennonite University. He thoroughly enjoys teaching and volunteering in church and community. He maintains a limited practice with couples and with perpetrators of domestic violence. Elroy has been married since 1973 to Linda, a nurse, and has two adult sons. He enjoys golfing and motorcycling.
B.S., Eastern Mennonite College (1975)
M.S.W., University of Southern Mississippi (1977)
- Miller, E.J. primary writer, (2013). Self-Study for Reaffirmation of the Social Work Program, Volume I, Council of Social Work Education, Washington, DC.
- Miller, E.J. primary writer, (2005). Self-Study for Reaffirmation of the Social Work Program, Volume I, Council of Social Work Education, Washington, DC.
- Miller, E.J. primary writer, (1997). Self-Study for Reaffirmation of the Social Work Program, Volume I, Council of Social Work Education, Washington, DC.
- Waltman, G.H., Czarnecki, J.C. and Miller, E.J. (1991, January). The Rural Branch Office: Planning, Marketing, Commitment. Families in Society, pp 45-50.
- (2008, October). Presented with Nickels, S., NewBridges. Emerging Immigrant Dilemmas, Personal and Legal: A Harrisonburg Story of Response and Agency Advocacy. Rally in the Valley, Massanetta Springs Conference Center, Harrisonburg, VA (Invited).
- (2007, Fall). Presented with Myers, A., JMU and Ford, K., JMU. Connectivity and Mutual Program Support between Academic Social Work Programs and Local Departments of Social Services. Virginia League of Social Service Executives, 2007 Fall Conference, Harrisonburg, VA (Invited).
- (2004, June). Taught Conflictology in Social Work, a three semester-hour, two-week course. Russian-American Christian University, Moscow, Russia (Invited).
- (2002, October). Presented with Livingston, A (student). In the Aftermath of 9/11:Interventions in New York City. Rally in the Valley, Massanetta Springs Conference Center, Harrisonburg, VA (Invited).
- (2002, March). Presented with Houser, W. & Ressler, D. (students). Christ in the Midst of Crisis: Social Work at Ground Zero. Social Work Department of Eastern University, Colloquium, St. Davids, PA (Invited).
- (2001, June). Presented with Ford, K. Rural Perspectives on Temporary Assistance for Needy Families: Student and Faculty Research. Policy conference, The College of Social Work, University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC (Invited).
- 2013-present. Chair, Governance Committee, Board Member, Pleasant View, Inc., Harrisonburg, VA.
- 2011, May. Revised and updated Chapter 6, “Growing a Vibrant Economy,” Healthy Community Assessment, 2011, A Report by the Healthy Community Council on the Quality of Life in Harrisonburg & Rockingham County.
- 2010-present. Board Member, Pleasant View, Inc. Harrisonburg, VA.
- 2010-present. Commissioner, Harrisonburg Redevelopment and Housing Authority. Harrisonburg, VA.
- 2010, August. Presented “Research Findings on Homelessness” to City of Harrisonburg and Rockingham County Ten-Year Plan to End Homelessness Committee.
- 2010-present. Member, Harrisonburg Mennonite Church Council. Harrisonburg, VA.
- 2009-present. Member, City of Harrisonburg and Rockingham County Ten-Year Plan to End Homelessness Committee.
- 2003-present. Health Community Council; Steering Committee (2003-present), Community Assessment Committee (2009-present). Harrisonburg, VA.
- Quality of Service Award. Eastern Mennonite University, 2012-13.
- Certificate of Appreciation. Virginia Mennonite Conference, Chair of the Faith and Life Commission, 2000-06.
- Commendation for Leadership. NewBridges: Immigrant Resources Center, for starting the agency and board leadership, 1997-2005.
- Outstanding Leadership Award. Healthy Community Council, Chair, 1997-2000.
- 1997-present.Clinical Social Worker License, Virginia.
- 2000-present. Academy of Certified Social Workers.
- 1995-present. Association of Baccalaureate Social Work Program Directors.
- 1995-present. Council on Social Work Education.
- 2000-present. National Association of Christians in Social Work.
- 2000-present. National Association of Social Workers.
- 1995-present. Virginia Social Work Education Consortium.
- “Learning From Ethical Vignettes,” The Center for Ethical Practice, Inc., Charlottesville, VA. 13 May 2013.
- “If Only I Had Known…,” The Center for Ethical Practice, Inc., Charlottesville, VA. 13 May 2013
- Brain-Based Therapy & Practical Neuroscience: Attachment & Emotion Regulation, Charlottesville, VA. 08 May 2013.
- Anxiety Disorders in Children and Adolescents: Recognizing & Treating the Emerging Epidemic, Winchester, VA. 12 December 2012.
- Rally in the Valley, Virginia Social Work Education Consortium and National Association of Social Workers-Virginia, conference for social work students and faculty. 6-7 October 2012.
- Housing Stability and Mental Illness Summit, Virginia Coalition to End Homelessness and National Alliance on mental Illness, 22-23 July 2012.
- Promising Practices for Healing Psychological Trauma of Service Members, Families, Veterans, and Community. Fairfax, VA. 11 May 2012.
- Suicide & Self-Mutilation: Stopping the Pain, Charlottesville. VA, 9 May 2012.
- Sustaining Quality BSW Education in Difficult Times, Association of Baccalaureate Social Work Directors. Portland, OR. 14-18 March 2012.
- Keeping American’s Promise: Investment, Innovation, Stewardship, National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO). St. Louis, MO. 23-25 October 2011.
- Rally in the Valley, Virginia Social Work Education Consortium and National Association of Social Workers-Virginia, conference for social work students and faculty, Harisonburg, VA. 6-7 October 2011.
- Psychopharmacology: What You Need to Know about Psychiatric Medications. Charlottesville, VA. 18 May 2011.
- Yoga Mindfulness: Clinical Interventions for Anxiety & Depression. Charlottesville, VA. 27 April 2011.
- Rally in the Valley, Virginia Social Work Education Consortium and National Association of Social Workers-Virginia, conference for social work students and faculty, Harrisonburg, VA. 1-2 October 2010.
- 2010-present. Member, Campus Ministries Council
- 2009-1010. President, Faculty Senate
- 2009-2010. Undergraduate faculty representative to the President’s Cabinet
- 2009-2010. Undergraduate faculty representative to the Strategic Planning Committee
- 2008-2009. President-Elect, Faculty Senate
- 2004-2010. Institutional Research Committee