Office Phone: (540) 432-4220
Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: LA 014
Sharon Miller in the news:
Sharon Miller is the Administrative Director of the Shenandoah Valley Preparatory Music Program which currently serves nearly 400 students from 5 Virginia counties and West Virginia. She has a studio of violin and viola students and teaches Suzuki Pedagogy courses through the Preparatory Music Program and at workshops and summer Suzuki Institutes throughout the United States. Ms. Miller taught music education courses at Eastern Mennonite University from 1989-2014.
Ms. Miller received her M.Ed. (music) from Towson State University and M.M. (Suzuki Pedagogy) from East Carolina University. She is a registered Suzuki Violin Teacher Trainer with the Suzuki Association of the Americas and has taught at Institutes and workshops around the United States. As a performer, she plays violin with the University Shenandoah Symphony, the Shenandoah Valley Bach Festival and the Waynesboro Symphony Orchestra. She also performs viola with several chamber ensembles.
Ms. Miller has presented research papers on the topic of music reading at the International Suzuki Research Symposium in 1999 and 2001.
Volunteer work includes being a greeter and participating in worship at her church, and assisting clients at Patchwork Pantry.
Before coming to EMU in 1989, she taught strings and orchestra for 11 years in Baltimore and was the music department chair at Arlington Baptist School.
M.M. (Suzuki Pedagogy), East Carolina University, 2001
M.Ed. (Music Education), Towson State University, 1989
B.S. (Music Education), Liberty University, 1978
- Suzuki Teacher Training in State College, PA: Every Child Can course (January 11, 2014) and Violin/Viola Unit 1 (May 2014)
- Presentation, “Suzuki Teaching Principles”, ASTA Collegiate Chapter at James
Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA (October 14, 2013)
- Adjudicator, Virginia Music Teachers Association Concerto Competition, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA (May 11, 2013)
- Master Class and Group Teacher, Suzuki Workshop, Levine School of Music, Washington, D.C. and Arlington, VA (March 8 & 9, 2013)
- Presentation, “Making Assessment Authentic and Practical”, Virginia Music Educators Conference, Hot Springs, VA (November 2012)
- Master Class and Group Teacher, Blue Ridge Suzuki Camp, Orkney Springs, VA (June 2007-2014)
- Suzuki Violin Teacher Trainer and Master Class Teacher, Central Pennsylvania Suzuki Institute, Hershey, PA (July 2008-14)
- Director and Master Class Teacher, EMU Suzuki Strings Day Camp (July 2008-2014)
- Suzuki Violin Teacher Trainer and Master Class Teacher, Indianapolis Academy of Music, Indianapolis, IN (August 2011)
- Violinist, Shenandoah Valley Bach Festival, EMU, Harrisonburg, VA (1997 – Present)
- Violinist, Waynesboro Symphony Orchestra, Waynesboro, Staunton, & Charlottesville, VA (2014, February 22 & 23, April 26 & 27; 2013, October 25) Since 2002.
- Violinist, University Shenandoah Symphony Orchestra, Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA (2013, November 9; 2014, February 8 & March 15) Since 1998.
- Conductor, Junior Strings Ensemble, EMU, Harrisonburg, VA (2013, March 23) Since 2001.
- Violist, Waynesboro Choral Society, Waynesboro, VA (2013, April 29 & 30; 2012, November 26 & 27)
*Violist, Schola Cantorum, Waynesboro, VA (2014, April 6)
- Violist, Shenandoah Valley Choral Society, Bridgewater, VA (2012, April 20 & 22)
- Violinist/Violist, EMU Community Orchestra, Harrisonburg, VA (2012, November 10) Since 1989.
- Member, String Planning Committee, Harrisonburg City Schools (2007-08). On-going consultant (2008-Present)
- Administrative Director and Violin Teacher, Harrisonburg City School String Program, Grades 3 – 8 (2007-Present)
- Member, Waynesboro Symphony Orchestra Board of Directors (2004 – 2011)
- Member, College Advisory Committee, Virginia Chapter of American String Teachers Association (2008-2012)
- Member, Ministry Support Team for Shirley Roth (VMM), Director of Nazareth Village, Nazareth, Israel (2009-10)
- Volunteer at Virginia MCC Relief Sale (1999 – 2010)
- Volunteer at Patchwork Pantry (1992 – Present)
- Greeter and participant in worship at Community Mennonite Church, Harrisonburg, VA (1990 – Present)
- (2013-14) Harrisonburg City Public Schools $12,500 Contract with the EMU Preparatory Music Program for after-school violin instruction in middle and elementary schools. Since 2007.
- (2014) Virginia String Teachers Association (VASTA): $500 grant for instruments in the HCPS String Program
- Registered Suzuki Violin Teacher Trainer with the Suzuki Association of the Americas (includes the Every Child Can and Suzuki Principles in Action courses)
Suzuki Association of the Americas (1978 – Present)
National Association for Music Education (1989 – Present)
American String Teachers Association (1999 – Present)
- Suzuki Association Conference, Minneapolis, MN (May 2014). Attended this biennial meeting since 1996.
- Suzuki Principles In Action Teacher Training (2011, February 19 & 20, May 25 & 26, September 24 & 25)
- Virginia Music Educators Conference, Hot Springs, VA (November 2014) Take college music education majors to this meeting most every year.
- Suzuki Association Leadership Retreat, Columbus, OH (May 2013). Attended this biennial meeting since 1997.
- Teacher Training Workshop for Mark O’Connor’s Violin Method, George Washington University, Washington, D.C. (2010, January 16-18)
Committee on Teacher Education (1990 – 2014); Teacher Education Admission Committee (2012-13)