Office Phone: (540) 432-4106
Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: CC 318
Deirdre Smeltzer in the news:
VP & Undergrad Academic Dean
Deirdre Longacher Smeltzer, Vice President and Undergraduate Academic Dean, began working at EMU in 1998. Prior to 1998, she spent four years as an assistant professor in the Mathematics Department at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, MN. Deirdre is an alumna of EMU, where she majored in mathematics, with a Bible minor. She earned an M.S. and a Ph.D. in mathematics from the University of Virginia; Deirdre’s graduate research was in the area of algebraic coding theory. Recent scholarly pursuits have included exploring other branches of combinatorics, the co-authoring of the book Methods for Euclidean Geometry, and (currently) the writing of a second textbook on discrete mathematics. In 2012-13, Deirdre served as the Interim Director of Cross-cultural Programs at EMU. In July of 2013, she moved into the role of Vice President and Undergraduate Academic Dean. Deirdre is married to Sherwyn Smeltzer, has two daughters and a son-in-law, and enjoys reading, cooking, exercise, and travel.
B.A., Eastern Mennonite University, 1987
M.S., Mathematics, University of Virginia, 1990
Ph.D., Mathematics, University of Virginia, 1994
- A 3-D Analog of Steiner’s Porism, with Owen Byer, Mathematics Magazine, to appear April, 2014.
- Methods for Euclidean Geometry, with Owen Byer and Felix Lazebnik, Mathematical Association of America, 2010.
- Exploring Loci in Geometry, with Owen D. Byer, Proceedings of the Sixteenth Conference of the ACMS (2007), pp 114-140.
- Edge bounds in non-hamiltonian k-connected graphs, with Owen D. Byer, Discrete Mathematics, Volume 307 (2007), pp 1572-1579.
- A Guide to Mathematics Competency, with Owen D. Byer, for use in EMU Foundations of Math course, 2007.
- Exponential Numbers of Inequivalent Difference Sets in Z2s+1xZ2s+1, with James A. Davis, Journal of Combinatorial Designs, Volume 11 (2003), pp 249-259.
- Properties of Codes from Difference Sets in 2-Groups, Designs, Codes, and Cryptography, Volume 16 (1999), pp 291-306.
(June 2011-May 2013 only)
- Building a Successful Required Cross-cultural Program, with Jason Good, NAFSA Region VIII meeting, Alexandria, VA, November 17, 2012.
- Using Methods for Euclidean Geometry in the Classroom, with Owen Byer, MAA-AMS joint national meeting, Boston, MA, January 6, 2012.
- Codes, Ciphers, and Hat Games, Rockingham County professional development presentation, October 31, 2011.
- Spherical Inversions and their Applications to Geometry, Invited colloquium presentation, James Madison University, October 3, 2011.
(June 2011-May 2013 only)
- Parent-Teacher Fellowship Secretary, Eastern Mennonite School, July 2011-present.
- Co-facilitator of professional development session for Harrisonburg City middle school math teachers, with Dr. Edwin O’Shea and Dr. Elizabeth Arnold, October 13, 2011.
- College for a Day presentation, Red Hat, Blue Hat: What Color is Your Hat?, with Laura Hershey, June 3, 2011.
- Worship leader, Park View Mennonite church, 2011, 2012, 2013.
- Teacher for college-age Sunday School class, Park View Mennonite Church, January 2011-January 2013.
- Minutes taker, Friendly City Food Co-op Board, December 2009-September 2011.
- Association of Christians in the Mathematical Sciences
- Mathematical Association of America
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators
- Virginia International Educators
(June 2011 – present)
- Council of Independent Colleges 2013 Institute for Chief Academic and Chief Student Affairs Officers, Pittsburgh, PA, November 2-5, 2013.
- MAA-PREP workshop: Math for a Sustainable Future, Washington, DC, March 14-17, 2013.
- NAFSA Region VIII Conference, Alexandria, VA, November 15-17, 2012.
- Virginia International Educators Fall Conference, Charlottesville, VA, October 19, 2012.
- Council of Independent Colleges Workshop for Department and Division Chairs, Charleston, SC, May 22-24, 2012.
- National Joint Meeting of the MAA and the AMS, Boston, MA, January 4-7, 2012.
(2011-13 Academic Years only)
- Chair, Cross-cultural Committee, 2012-13
- Member, Executive Committee of the Undergraduate Council, 2011-13
- Chair, Physics Search Committee, 2012-13
- Chair, Fulbright Campus Committee, 2012-13
- Mathematical Sciences Department Chair, 2011-12
- Colleague Review Committees, 2011-12 and 2012-13
- Institutional Effectiveness Committee member, 2011-12
- Cords of Distinction Selection Committee member, 2011-12
- Honors Mentor to three students, 2011-13
- University Consultant for two student teachers, 2011-12