Office Phone: (540) 432-4665
Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: RT 101
Tara Kishbaugh in the news:
Dr. Kishbaugh earned a B.S. in chemistry from Wheaton College and a Ph.D. in organic chemistry from Dartmouth College where she studied the reactions of electron deficient indoles. While in graduate school, she taught Organic Chemistry for a year at St. Michael’s College, Winooski, Vermont. Before coming to EMU, she was a Dreyfus Teaching Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Massachusetts. During her post-doctoral position, she explored approaches to fluorinated allenes. She brings a background of significant research, publications and presentation with special concern for integrating faith and scientific study. Tara’s chemistry-related hobbies include photography, baking, and tie-dying. Tara’s research interests include chemical education, heterocyclic chemistry, and water quality studies.
B.S, Wheaton College, Wheaton, Illinois
Ph.D., Dartmouth College
Dreyfus Teaching Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Massachusetts, North Dartmouth
Past five years; for additional papers, see GoogleScholar.
- Six-Membered Ring Systems: Pyridine and Benzo Derivatives
TLS Kishbaugh Progress in Heterocyclic Chemistryed. Gribble, G.W. Volume 25, 2013, 319-355.
- Six-Membered Ring Systems: Pyridine and Benzo Derivatives
TLS Kishbaugh Progress in Heterocyclic Chemistryed. Gribble, G.W. Volume 24, 2012, 343-391.
- Metalation of Pyrrole. Kishbaugh, T.L.S. Heterocyclic Scaffolds II: Indoles, ed. Gribble, G.W. Topics in Heterocyclic Chemistry Volume 29, 2012, 1-45.
- Measuring Beyond Content: An analytic rubric bank for assessing skills in authentic research assignments in the sciences. Kishbaugh, T.L.S.; Cessna, S. Flanagan, T.; Neufeld, D.G.; Horst, S.J.; Leaman, L.; Siderhurst, M. Chemical Education Research and Practice, published online April 2012 (DOI: 10.1039/C2RP00023G).
- 1,2- Bis(phenylsulfonyl)-1H-indole as an acceptor of organocuprate nucleophiles. Qian, D.C.; Alford, P.E.; Kishbaugh, T.L.S.; Jones, S.T.; Gribble, G.W. Arkivoc, IV, 2010, 66-73.
- Reactions of Indole with Nucleophiles. Kishbaugh, T.L.S. Heterocyclic Scaffolds II: Indoles, ed. Gribble, G.W. Topics in Heterocyclic Chemistry, 26, 2010, 117-140.
- Nucleophilic Addition of Hetaryllithium Compounds to 3-Nitro-1-(phenylsulfonyl)indole: Synthesis of Tetracyclic Thieno[3,2-c]- -carbolines. Alford, P.E.; Kishbaugh, T.L.S.; Gribble, G.W. Heterocycles, 80, 2010, 831-840.
- Phytoremediation as a Multi-Week Laboratory Project for Teaching General Chemistry Thermodynamics and Equilibrium.. Cessna SG, Kishbaugh TK, Graber Neufeld D, Cessna GA, Journal of Chemical Education 2009, 86, 726-729.
- Mn(III) based radical addition reactions of 2-nitroindole with activated CH compounds.. Androsov, D.A.; Kishbaugh, T.L.S.; Gribble, G.W. Tetrahedron Letters, 2008, 49, 6621-6623.
- Four papers on the X-ray Crystal Structure Determination of 2-protected-1,2,3,4-tetrahydropyrrolo[3,4-bindoles. Kishbaugh, T.L.S.;Gribble, G.W.; Jasinski, J. Acta Crystallography, E, E63, 2007, 3408, 3409, 3410, 3411.
- X-ray Crystal Structure Determination of 9-(Phenylsulfonyl)-9H-carabazol-2-ol. Kishbaugh, T.L.S.;Gribble, G.W.; Jasinski, J. Acta Crystallography, C, E63, 2007, 2472-2473.
- X-ray Crystal Structure Determination of 4-Methoxy-4a-nitro-9-(phenylsulfonyl)-4,4a,9,9a-tetrahydro-1H-carbazol_2(3H)-one. Kishbaugh, T.L.S.; Gribble, G.W.; Jasinski, J. Acta Crystallography, C, E63, 2007, 2470-2471.
- 1, 3-Dipolar Cycloaddition of 2- and 3-Nitroindoles with Azomethine Ylides: A new approach to pyrrolo[3,4-b]indoles. Roy, S.; Kishbaugh, T.L.S.; Jasinski, J.P.; Gribble, G.W. Tetrahedron Letters, 2007, 48, 1313-1316.
- Organic blueberry sweetness: Percentage Brix and taste tests. Groff, N. Sachs, J.; Kishbaugh, T.L.S.; Miller, R. Virginia Academy of Sciences at VCU, May 15, 2014.
- Cessna,S.; Kishbaugh, T.L.S. Promoting learning through authentic and relevant research experiences in environmental monitoring and remediation across ten chemistry and biology courses. Invited poster presentation to the NSF/AAAS TUES/CCLI Primary Investigators Biannual Meeting, Washington D.C. 2/2013.
- Cessna,S.; Kishbaugh, T.L.S. Workshop: Authentic Research Projects in the Teaching Lab: Inception, Implementation, and Assessment for Learning, NSF/AAAS TUES/CCLI Primary Investigators Biannual Meeting , Washington D.C., 2/2013.
- Service learning to enhance the environmental chemistry curriculum. Kishbaugh, T.L.S.; Graber Neufeld, D. 22nd Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, State College, Pa. July 29-August 2, 2012.
- Implementing a ‘Research Across the Curriculum’ program in the chemistry and biology departments. Kishbaugh, T.L.S.; Cessna, S. 22nd Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, State College, Pa. July 29-August 2, 2012.
- A report on using copper phytoremediation projects for teaching second semester general chemistry concepts and skills. Cessna, S.; Kishbaugh, T.L.S. 22nd Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, State College, Pa. July 29-August 2, 2012.
- Tracking the development of the nature of science understanding over an undergraduate STEM career. Cessna, S.; Kishbaugh, T.L.S. 22nd Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, State College, Pa. July 29-August 2, 2012.
- Promoting Learning through Authentic and Relevant Research Experiences in Environmental Monitoring and Remediation across Ten Chemistry and Biology Courses. S Cessna, T Flanagan, D Graber Neufeld, SJ Horst, T Kishbaugh, L Leaman, M Siderhurst. CCLI- TUES Conference, Washington, D.C. January 26-28, 2011.
- Water Runs Black: the experience of service learning in environmental chemistry Kishbaugh, T.L.S., “Faith Traditions, Spirituality and Service- Learning”, Messiah College, Grantham, PA June 1-3, 2006.
- Stream health assessment of the Blacks Run river. Kishbaugh, T.L.S.; Cessna, S.G.; Heatwole, C. B.; Roggie, B.; Shirk, P. L. The 230th ACS National Meeting, in Washington, DC, Aug 28-Sept 1, 2005.
- Ad-hoc reviewer for Current Organic Chemistry, Letters in Drug Design and Discovery, Studies in Natural Product Chemistry and American Chemical Society- Petroleum Research Fund Undergraduate Research Proposals
- 2012 Presentation on results of a Baseline Water Monitoring Study related to proposed natural gas drilling, Bergton, Va.
- Led bread baking workshops during Food and Farming week since 2005
- At-large member of the Shenandoah Resource Conservation & Development Council 2011-2013
- STEM summer bridge program, Faculty Mentor 2009, 2010
- A number of workshops sponsored by the American Chemical Society for teaching advanced high school chemistry, 2006, 2007, 2008
- VDACS: “Sustaining Organic Blueberry Production: Analysis of Practices and Assessing Outcomes.” Program director: Roman J Miller. Co-PI: S. Cessna, T.L.S. Kishbaugh. (11/2011-10/2013) Knoll Acre Blueberries
- National Science Foundation, Course, Curriculum and Laboratory Improvement. “Promoting learning through authentic and relevant research experiences in environmental monitoring and remediation across ten chemistry and biology laboratory courses”:http://nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward.do?AwardNumber=0837578 Co-PI with S. Cessna, L. H. Leaman, M. Siderhurst, and D. Graber Neufeld. 2009-13. Project Page
- Citizen Monitoring Grant from the Va Department of Environmental Quality, 2009.
- National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Institute: Regional Study and the Liberal Arts: An Appalachian Exemplar, Ferrum College, Ferrum, Va, Summer 2006
- American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund Summer Fellowship with Gordon W. Gribble at Dartmouth College, Summer 2005, Topic: Oxidative radical additions to nitroindoles.
- American Chemical Society
- Shenandoah Anabaptist Science Society
- American Scientific Affiliation
Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, 2014.
NSF-ACS WIDER Workshop, Birmingham AL, October 2013.
CIC Workshop for Department and Division Chairs. Philadelphia, PA, April 2013.
Relating to the Land- Interdisciplinary, team-taught senior seminar which examines the variety of ways that people groups have related to and used the land, with an emphasis on regional topics, Appalachian studies. 2006
Drugs: Discovery, Design, Action- A writing intensive medicinal chemistry course intended to teach the principles that govern the process of modern drug discovery and development and to introduce students to some modes of drug activity. 2007, offered online in 2013.
Food: Science, Rituals, Lore-A honors colloquium about the ways in which we as a society relate to food. As a science, cooking may be the oldest and most widespread application of chemistry and recipes may be the oldest practical result of chemical research. While we can learn much about food by studying the chemistry of cooking it and the nutrition we gain from it, often what we eat and how we eat it are packed with meaning beyond what is scientifically measurable. 2008
Undergraduate Council 2013-present
Undergraduate Council Executive 2013-present
Intellectual Life, 2009- on, chair 2012- present
Creation Care Council, 2007-2010, 2012-2013
Honors Committee, 2004- present
SASS Steering Committee, Chair, 2005-2013
Campus Pastor Search Committee, spring 2013
Cords of Distinction Committee, spring 2013