Print Header Logo

International Student Services

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a type of employment for an F-1 student, which is an integral part of the curriculum or program. This employment may be an internship, a practicum, or any other work experience, provided it is either for credit or required for your degree.

You MUST receive approval from the DSO prior to beginning the employment, and it must be registered into SEVIS. The employment/internship may be either part-time or full-time, but you should be aware that if it is a full-time position lasting for one year, it will eliminate your ability to receive Optional Practical Training following graduation.

CPT is not granted often at EMU, and should be understood to be a special occurrence. In no case will CPT be granted to cover a term of employment that should have fallen under OPT. Contact the ISS office with questions.

Eligibility Requirements:

To be eligible for Curricular Practical Training, you must:

  1. Have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one full academic year, unless work is REQUIRED for the degree.
  2. Your employment must be an integral part of your established curriculum, be in your course of study or bear credit for a course .
  3. Have a job offer related to your major or field of study.

How to Apply For Curricular Practical Training:

  1. Obtain a letter from your employer. The letter should include the duties of the job, beginning and ending dates of your employment, and supervisor’s name, title, address and phone number.
  2. Ask your academic advisor to complete the Advisor’s Recommendation Form, which certifies that the employment you are to undertake is to fulfill a curricular requirement. This letter should describe your proposed employment and the curricular requirement. If your employment is based upon a course, the Form should include the course name, title, a brief course description, and certify that you have registered for the course. The course must be registered concurrently or no later than the semester following. Failure to register will result in retroactive illegality of the employment.
  3. Bring your job offer letter, Advisor’s Recommendation Form, and your CPT Request Form to the ISS for processing your employment authorization.

Never work without applying for employment authorization through the International Student Services Office and receiving approval!