STAR Practitioner &
STAR Certified Trainer
The STAR program at Eastern Mennonite University has three certification levels:
STAR Practitioner, STAR Certified Trainer and STAR Certified Site.
1. STAR Practitioners choose to integrate STAR into their work and are equipped to present one to two-day workshops based on STAR. They have access to resources from STAR/ EMU and are part of a worldwide network of dynamic STAR practitioners. Some of the most creative applications of STAR have been done by those who have completed Level II. For example,
- Resilience, an ESL curriculum based on Village STAR (currently in piloting stage), by Mike Medley, PhD
- Family STAR, a contextualized adaption of Village STAR designed for women experiencing domestic violence, by an international participant (anonymous)
- STAR model for native/aboriginal cultures; adapted graphics by Jennifer Saner-Harvey and Kerry Saner-Harvey, Happy Valley Goose Bay, Labrador, Canada
Read more examples
Criteria for admission:
- Completion of STAR Level I and are enrolled in or have completed Level II
- Recommendations of Level I and II trainers
- Training or teaching experience (preferred)
2. STAR Certified Trainers conduct official STAR Level I trainings and specialized trainings based on STAR materials to fit particular contexts. Certified trainers can apply to establish an official STAR site in their local area. Admission criteria includes:
- Successful completion of the practitioner level
- Demonstrated initiative in incorporating STAR into current work
- Educational background in a STAR-related discipline (e.g. psychology, neuroscience, conflict studies, restorative justice, theology) or similar experience
- Recommendation of STAR Level I and II trainers
- Located in a geographic location that is of strategic interest to STAR or part of an organization using STAR to do trauma sensitive programming
3. STAR Sites: Criteria is being developed as we work with pilot sites.
4. Organizations: STAR works with organizations to identify the best way to meet their needs: becoming a trauma-informed organization, doing trauma-sensitive programming, training staff as trainers, training affected civil society leaders directly, or designing a program to fit specific needs. Click here for information on STAR services for organizations.