- Backpacker magazine and The Outdoor Foundation rank Harrisonburg in the top 15 cities in America to raise an outdoor child!
Welcome to the Shenandoah Valley!
Come to EMU in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley and ski at Massanutten Resort, take in a D.C. concert, or hike in Shenandoah National Park. Whatever your tastes, EMU is close to major East Coast cities and only minutes to spectacular outdoor recreation.
With eight colleges within 50 miles of each other, student life in our region is booming. In Harrisonburg alone there is plenty to do: farmers markets, movie theaters, parks, skiing, arboretums, churches, events and festivals. And our campus is less than an hour from two national forests and Shenandoah National Park!
Harrisonbug – ‘Best Biking Community’
Harrisonburg is the unofficial biking capital of the Shenandoah Valley, according to Blue Ridge Outdoors. But in 2012 our city was named a bronze-level ride center by the International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA) and honored as a top bike-friendly community by the League of American Bicyclists. The League also conferred a bronze award on EMU, making EMU the third university in Virginia to be recognized as a “bicycle friendly university.”
- City of Harrisonburg
- Harrisonburg Tourism
- Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber of Commerce
- Harrisonburg/Rockingham convention and visitors’ bureau
News and Entertainment
- Daily News Record on-line
- Nuevas Raices
- WHSV – TV 3 (Adelphia Cable channel 11)
- WSVA Talk Radio 55 AM
EMU is less than an hour from two national forests and Shenandoah National Park. Learn more about our area…
- Appalachian Trail
- George Washington National Forest
- Shenandoah National Park
- Water Park at Massanutten
- Ski Massanutten
- Ski Wintergreen
- Virginia State Parks
Shenandoah Valley info
- City of Staunton
- Frontier Culture Museum, Staunton
- City of Charlottesville