Application and Instructions for the Women’s Peacebuilding Leadership Program
The Women’s Peacebuilding Leadership Program (WPLP) awards graduate certificates to peacebuilding practitioners in designated geographic areas.
Admissions requirements for the graduate certificate:
- An undergraduate (four-year) degree, preferably in the social sciences. If applicant does not have a four-year degree, please see Conditional Admission to the Graduate Certificate.
- An undergraduate GPA of at least 2.75 (based on a four-point scale).
- A TOEFL score of 550 or its equivalent. This may be waived in some cases.
- At least two years of experience in peacebuilding or related work: conciliation, mediation, trauma healing, advocacy, restorative justice, or community development/relief work.
- Demonstrated leadership or leadership potential.
- Recommendations and support by a local organization and other peacebuilding actors.
Documents that must be submitted with this application:
- Three letters of recommendation, including: Professional recommendation from someone who has worked with the applicant; academic recommendation from a former professor; and a letter from organization where the woman is employed, stating their agreement for her to participate fully in this program
- Official university transcripts
- Current resume or CV
- TOEFL or IELTS scores
- Copy of current passport that is valid through December 2014
- Essay questions (to be answered separately, 200 words each): What are the current conflicts in your country? How do these affect people’s everyday life? What have been your life experiences related to the conflicts in your country? What are you doing now, and how do you see that connecting to these conflicts? What kind of peacebuilding leadership do you think is needed to address these conflicts? Who inspires you to develop as a peacebuilding leader? In some cases, women from different sides of a conflict will be included in this program at the same time. How will you work and study with people from the “other side”?
Conditional Admission to the Graduate Certificate:
The Women’s Peacebuilding Leadership Program recognizes that around the world, education may be interrupted by war or other social issues. In exceptional cases, WPLP offers conditional admission based on these additional conditions:
- Completion of at least three years of undergraduate work, with a GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4-point scale
- Significant life and professional experience and an explanation of how these experiences have prepared the applicant for graduate-level academic work.
Applicants who do not hold a bachelor’s degree will be expected to demonstrate how their experience meets these additional requirements.