EMU Commission for the Sciences
Purpose: The Commission for the Sciences consists of prominent leaders who share a common interest in the continuing success of EMU’s programs in pre-professional health, nursing, environmental science, chemistry, biology, physics and mathematics. These leaders are willing to share their expertise and lend their influence and support to open doors to funding entities such as federal and state government sources, individuals, corporations, and foundations that have a vested interest in producing qualified science graduates through EMU.
In 2011 Harvard Medical School was the setting for a series of funding strategy conversations, hosted by Dr. Joseph B. Martin (EMU ’59), Dean Emeritus and Professor of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School.
- Mark Grimaldi ’94, Albany, GA – President of Equinox Chemical Company
- Dr. Krishna Kodukula, Harrisonburg, VA – Executive Director, CADRE, Biosciences Division, SRI Shenandoah Valley
- Jim Krauss, Harrisonburg, VA – President & CEO, Rockingham Memorial Hospital
- Joyce Bontrager Lehman ’65, Keene, NH – Independent Consultant, Financial Inclusion
- Dr. Joseph B. Martin ’59, Cambridge, MA – Dean Emeritus and Professor of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School
- Joe Paxton, County Administrator, Rockingham County, Virginia
- John Rocovich, Roanoke, VA – Attorney, Moss & Rocovich; Founder of Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine in Blacksburg, VA
- Dr. Frank Shelp ’80, Atlanta, GA – Former Georgia Commissioner of the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities
- Dr. Paul R. Yoder, Jr. ’63, Harrisonburg, VA – Ophthalmologist, Rockingham Eye Physicians and Associates, PC
- Dr. Loren Swartzendruber ’76, ’79, Harrisonburg, VA – President of Eastern Mennonite University; Commission Chair
- Dr. Roman Miller, Harrisonburg, VA – Professor of Biology/Daniel B. Suter Endowed Chair, Eastern Mennonite University
- EMU staff support: Kirk Shisler ’81, Vice President for Advancement, EMU; Phillip Helmuth ’76, Executive Director of Development, EMU
- Congressman Robert Goodlatte, Honorary Advisor to the Commission, R-6th District, Virginia